When to Use San-T or Tee-Wye

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When to Use San-T or Tee-Wye

Flux, what exactly do you mean by "backvent". I've never heard that term before. I've heard "re-vent" but not "backvent."

In IL the only drains that are allowed to be vented by the stack are floor drains which are essentially emergency drains. for IL code every fixture (trap) must have it's own separate vent. so the re-vent of backvent on for the washer standpipe would be needed.

Hammerlane: I have now idea why your inspector would want the fixture branch to be 3" and the standpipe 2". Here it would be 2" for both the standpipe and the horizontal drain, however I have seen some plumbers use pipe 1 size larger for the upper part of the standpipe in order to better catch the water the same way floor sinks in commercial kitchens function (both are really just open-site drains).
    I would clarify with the inspector if you want to be 100% up to (local) code or if you are pulling a permit. Bring an isometric drawing. Sometimes things get lost in translation on the phone.

This is another classic example of why code questions can lead to confusing answers on this forum. Different areas have different codes that can be more or less stringent than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
      Flux, what exactly do you mean by "backvent". I've never heard that term before. I've heard "re-vent" but not "backvent."

In IL the only drains that are allowed to be vented by the stack are floor drains which are essentially emergency drains. for IL code every fixture (trap) must have it's own separate vent. so the re-vent of backvent on for the washer standpipe would be needed.
      See now, I never heard of the term "re-vent" before.

Click the link, and scroll down the page to see a diagram and brief description. The More Complicated Back-Vent System

Notice how the back vent ties back in at the top of the main stack, well above the highest fixtures flood rim.

I just looked up "re-vent" and it's very similar to back venting.
      Last edited by Flux; 10-28-2011, 11:15 PM.

Comment

The inspector is stopping over Tuesday morning for a "consultation". I will ask for his further explanantion of the 3" branch.

I'll post his reply.

Thanks for all comments but another quick question.

1. In all my photos I have fitting #1 listed as a (T-Wye) /(Wye with a street 45) / (Combo an 1/8). My understanding is that all three are the same configuration having that long sweep. Anyway could fitting #1 be a San-T instead of one of the above named fittings??

And again I'll post the inspector's reasoning for a 3" branch.

Comment

Just put the 4x2 tee in the stack, run over and 90 out for the deep sink. Run the washer into the deep sink, and it's all good. No need for all this calling the inspector on your home. And what you have done with the photos is far better than alot of plumbers I know would think up.
          Plumbing isn't rocket science, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by nobackfall View Post
            Just put the 4x2 tee in the stack, run over and 90 out for the deep sink. Run the washer into the deep sink, and it's all good. No need for all this calling the inspector on your home. And what you have done with the photos is far better than alot of plumbers I know would think up.
            Lets just say if a person interested in buying a home really wants laundry in the basement, in this realestate market you try to accomodate them within reason. I never said I called the plumbing inspector, I said I spoke with him. well anyways regardless of how the PI got involved, he is involved now.

So backfall...in your opinion there is no need for a 4x2 Wye with a street 45 on the stack to pick up the drain line? It is OK to use a San-T?

Rocket science may be easier.

If you have lemons make hard lemonade.

thanks

Comment

Originally Posted by NHMaster3015
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.
              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by nobackfall View Post
                I never said I called the inspector, I said I spoke to him. Regardless of how inspector became involved he is invloved. Lets just say if someone wants to purchase a home and they really want laundry in the basement, in this real estate market you do what you can to accommodate them.

So backfall, in your opinion I can just use a San-T to tie into the stack. No need for a (Wye and a street 45) or a (Combo and an 1/8) or (T-wye)

I think rocket science is easier.
                Attached Files

Comment

NICE PHOTOS!

What did you use to mark them up with?

Do your garage floor drains go to sanitary sewer? Here they would be daylighted or run to a drywell. You wouldn't want the laundry on them if that is the case where you are. You can easily verify it by listening at the 4x2 san-t (or is it a 4x3, since your inspector oddly wants 3") you installed at the stack while having a helper flush a toilet. You should hear the flush if the stack goes to san sewer.
                  Last edited by Ace Sewer; 10-31-2011, 07:02 PM.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by hammerlane View Post
                    I never said I called the inspector, I said I spoke to him. Regardless of how inspector became involved he is invloved. Lets just say if someone wants to purchase a home and they really want laundry in the basement, in this real estate market you do what you can to accommodate them.

So backfall, in your opinion I can just use a San-T to tie into the stack. No need for a (Wye and a street 45) or a (Combo and an 1/8) or (T-wye)

I think rocket science is easier.
                    Yes, just run a sanitary tee at the stack. Don't worry about that combo.
                    On your other thread on this issue, an idea was braught up on maybe stacking one 4x2 tee on top of another pointing opposite directions from the main stack. Washer on one side and sink on the other. That might make your stand pipe too short or maybe not. Don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                      NICE PHOTOS!

What did you use to mark them up with?

Do your garage floor drains go to sanitary sewer? Here they would be daylighted or run to a drywell. You wouldn't want the laundry on them if that is the case where you are. You can easily verify it by listening at the 4x2 san-t (or is it a 4x3, since your inspector oddly wants 3") you installed at the stack while having a helper flush a toilet. You should hear the flush if the stack goes to san sewer.
                      I just use the Microsoft paint program to edit the photos. That 4" stack in the photo that services the garage drains DOES go to sanitary sewer and the garage drains are the ONLY fixture draining into that stack.

@nobackfull--OK for the San-T at the stack

Comment

Spoke with city plumbing inspector again today. From when i spoke with him last there may have been a little confusion about what size stack the laundry tub/washer standpipe branch drain would be dumping into.

After he verified that my existing stack was 4", he said :
                        1)a 2" horizontal branch drain to pick up both both the laundry tub and washer standpipe would suffice since my existing stack was 4"
                        2)would be OK to use an AAV on the laundry tub
                        3)would be OK to tie into the stack with a San-Tee....no need to use the Tee-Wye.

Comment

There you go.
                          I knew there must have been a mix up someplace on that 3in.

Comment

Thank goodness for that because if I had to go with a 4x3 San-T I was going to start having height problems for the stub out for the laundry sink.

Comment

That's why i questioned the 3" on the horizontal run....never seen it done in my life. You would never be able to wash the walls on the 3", and that's against any code.

You had more than enough Drainage Fixture Value for a 2" line.

If you dump the washing machine into the laundry tub and don't install the laundry stand-pipe, you won't need the A.A.V. either.

Good luck
                              Last edited by Flux; 11-01-2011, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Hello,

I'm getting ready to do the exact same install in my basement although I have no vent to tie into without running all the way up to the attic above the second floor. I planned on using two AAV's. One for laundry standpipe and one for sink. Any problems there?

I will be tying into the main stack that has all three bathrooms on it as far as I can tell. Any tips for installing the new 4x4x2 San tee for the new drainage run from the laundry?

Hammerlane,

Did you complete your plumbing? Can you post a picture for reference or send it to me?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X