X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hammerlane
    started a topic When to Use San-T or Tee-Wye

When to Use San-T or Tee-Wye

I'd like to install a laundry sink and washer in basement close to an existing 4" stack and have been looking for the proper way to do it or if I hire someone, to make sure they do it properly. I am kind of confused about San-Ts, San-Ts on their backs, Wyes, T-Wyes and the slew of fittings with their proper use.

In a previous post about tees and wyes in April 2011, Swade Plumbing said:

"Tee's on their back are no gouda.You have to have a "long sweep" pattern when going from vertical to horizontal. Wye's cannot be used to pick up fixture drains before the fixture vent. Example, a sink drain from the outlet of a trap needs to go to a Tee in the wall. This enables the vent to function properly and prevents trap siphonage."

When he said, "Wye's cannot be used to pick up fixture drains before the fixture vent" did he mean with the run of the wye in a vertical position and out of the branch of the wye a street 45 like in photo #1?

And correct me if I'm wrong but:
    I also believe this arrangement of a Wye and a street 45 out of the branch of the Wye is called a "Combo and an 1/8".
    And this "Combo and an 1/8" arrangement can also be found as one piece and is called a T-Wye?

Is the orientation of the T-Wye, in a horizontal position like in photo #2, where the branch of this horizontal T-Wye is for the stub out to the laundry sink OK?

Also look at photo #3 and see if that looks up to par.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hammerlane; 10-28-2011, 09:43 AM.

• hammerlane
    replied
    Re: When to Use San-T or Tee-Wye

Here is a good picture for reference. This photo assumes that above fitting "A", no other fixtures from above floors are draining into that stack.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• nlaudato
    replied

Hello,

I'm getting ready to do the exact same install in my basement although I have no vent to tie into without running all the way up to the attic above the second floor. I planned on using two AAV's. One for laundry standpipe and one for sink. Any problems there?

I will be tying into the main stack that has all three bathrooms on it as far as I can tell. Any tips for installing the new 4x4x2 San tee for the new drainage run from the laundry?

Hammerlane,

Did you complete your plumbing? Can you post a picture for reference or send it to me?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Flux
    replied

That's why i questioned the 3" on the horizontal run....never seen it done in my life. You would never be able to wash the walls on the 3", and that's against any code.

You had more than enough Drainage Fixture Value for a 2" line.

If you dump the washing machine into the laundry tub and don't install the laundry stand-pipe, you won't need the A.A.V. either.

Good luck
    Last edited by Flux; 11-01-2011, 05:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hammerlane
    replied

Thank goodness for that because if I had to go with a 4x3 San-T I was going to start having height problems for the stub out for the laundry sink.

Leave a comment:

• nobackfall
    replied

There you go.
    I knew there must have been a mix up someplace on that 3in.

Leave a comment:

• hammerlane
    replied

Spoke with city plumbing inspector again today. From when i spoke with him last there may have been a little confusion about what size stack the laundry tub/washer standpipe branch drain would be dumping into.

After he verified that my existing stack was 4", he said :
    1)a 2" horizontal branch drain to pick up both both the laundry tub and washer standpipe would suffice since my existing stack was 4"
    2)would be OK to use an AAV on the laundry tub
    3)would be OK to tie into the stack with a San-Tee....no need to use the Tee-Wye.

Leave a comment:

• hammerlane
    replied

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
    NICE PHOTOS!

What did you use to mark them up with?

Do your garage floor drains go to sanitary sewer? Here they would be daylighted or run to a drywell. You wouldn't want the laundry on them if that is the case where you are. You can easily verify it by listening at the 4x2 san-t (or is it a 4x3, since your inspector oddly wants 3") you installed at the stack while having a helper flush a toilet. You should hear the flush if the stack goes to san sewer.
    I just use the Microsoft paint program to edit the photos. That 4" stack in the photo that services the garage drains DOES go to sanitary sewer and the garage drains are the ONLY fixture draining into that stack.

@nobackfull--OK for the San-T at the stack

Leave a comment:

• nobackfall
    replied

Originally posted by hammerlane View Post
    I never said I called the inspector, I said I spoke to him. Regardless of how inspector became involved he is invloved. Lets just say if someone wants to purchase a home and they really want laundry in the basement, in this real estate market you do what you can to accommodate them.

So backfall, in your opinion I can just use a San-T to tie into the stack. No need for a (Wye and a street 45) or a (Combo and an 1/8) or (T-wye)

I think rocket science is easier.
    Yes, just run a sanitary tee at the stack. Don't worry about that combo.
    On your other thread on this issue, an idea was braught up on maybe stacking one 4x2 tee on top of another pointing opposite directions from the main stack. Washer on one side and sink on the other. That might make your stand pipe too short or maybe not. Don't know.

Leave a comment:

• Ace Sewer
    replied

NICE PHOTOS!

What did you use to mark them up with?

Do your garage floor drains go to sanitary sewer? Here they would be daylighted or run to a drywell. You wouldn't want the laundry on them if that is the case where you are. You can easily verify it by listening at the 4x2 san-t (or is it a 4x3, since your inspector oddly wants 3") you installed at the stack while having a helper flush a toilet. You should hear the flush if the stack goes to san sewer.
    Last edited by Ace Sewer; 10-31-2011, 07:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hammerlane
    replied

Originally posted by nobackfall View Post
    Just put the 4x2 tee in the stack, run over and 90 out for the deep sink. Run the washer into the deep sink, and it's all good. No need for all this calling the inspector on your home. And what you have done with the photos is far better than alot of plumbers I know would think up.
    Plumbing isn't rocket science, is it?
    I never said I called the inspector, I said I spoke to him. Regardless of how inspector became involved he is invloved. Lets just say if someone wants to purchase a home and they really want laundry in the basement, in this real estate market you do what you can to accommodate them.

So backfall, in your opinion I can just use a San-T to tie into the stack. No need for a (Wye and a street 45) or a (Combo and an 1/8) or (T-wye)

I think rocket science is easier.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dcman
    replied

Originally Posted by NHMaster3015
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Leave a comment:

• hammerlane
    replied

Originally posted by nobackfall View Post
    Just put the 4x2 tee in the stack, run over and 90 out for the deep sink. Run the washer into the deep sink, and it's all good. No need for all this calling the inspector on your home. And what you have done with the photos is far better than alot of plumbers I know would think up.
    Lets just say if a person interested in buying a home really wants laundry in the basement, in this realestate market you try to accomodate them within reason. I never said I called the plumbing inspector, I said I spoke with him. well anyways regardless of how the PI got involved, he is involved now.

So backfall...in your opinion there is no need for a 4x2 Wye with a street 45 on the stack to pick up the drain line? It is OK to use a San-T?

Rocket science may be easier.

If you have lemons make hard lemonade.

thanks

Leave a comment:

• nobackfall
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hammerlane
    replied

The inspector is stopping over Tuesday morning for a "consultation". I will ask for his further explanantion of the 3" branch.

I'll post his reply.

Thanks for all comments but another quick question.

1. In all my photos I have fitting #1 listed as a (T-Wye) /(Wye with a street 45) / (Combo an 1/8). My understanding is that all three are the same configuration having that long sweep. Anyway could fitting #1 be a San-T instead of one of the above named fittings??

And again I'll post the inspector's reasoning for a 3" branch.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X