X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New House.

Hello. This is my first time posting. I bought a house in July. Last night I was in bed and I heard water dripping. It seemed like it was coming from the wall which is at the head of the bed. On the other side of the wall is the exterior of the house. Is this a plumbing or roofing problem? If its a plumbing problem, what is it? If it helps I live in Canada and it has recently become colder (but not below freezing).

Re: New House.

This sounds like one where a picture would be worth a thousand words. If it's plumbing on an exterior wall, you might be looking for a hose bib issue. If there is no plumbing in the wall then that would have to come back to the roof.

Comment

is there any plumbing that would go thorough that wall? (above or to the side, below the room) is the basement open to see the pipes? and where they run?

If there is not any plumbing in the area, or is fed from a different place than in that wall, I would suspect it is from a different source as the plumbing,

Just being in Canada I would doubt if there is much if any plumbing in the exterior walls, (as even here, in cold areas usually plumbing in the exterior walls is avoided if possible)
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Was it wet out, rain or drizzle? Gutters and a down spout near your bed? Very common complaint.

Comment

what kind off heat do you have hot water baseboard somethimes makes noise like drpping

Comment

Are you sure it's not your copper or ABS pipes expanding and contracting going through wooden studs and joists? They make a sound that is similar to water dripping.

Comment

Infloor radiant HPEX can make those same noises depending on how it's installed.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                is there any plumbing that would go thorough that wall? (above or to the side, below the room) is the basement open to see the pipes? and where they run?

If there is not any plumbing in the area, or is fed from a different place than in that wall, I would suspect it is from a different source as the plumbing,

Just being in Canada I would doubt if there is much if any plumbing in the exterior walls, (as even here, in cold areas usually plumbing in the exterior walls is avoided if possible)

is there any plumbing that would go thorough that wall? (above or to the side, below the room) is the basement san diego propane open to see the pipes? and where they run?

It sounds like you just may have a couple leakages in your roofing.. It's very rare that it would be your plumbing.
                Last edited by Socal John; 01-16-2012, 12:34 AM.

Comment

when my old house would settle (I LIVE IN CANADA TOO) it would sometimes sound like a drip of water. Temp changes might be making the noise? Just a guess

Comment

Working...
                  X