Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horizontal Run After Washer Standpipe To Be 3 inch??????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horizontal Run After Washer Standpipe To Be 3 inch??????

I have another thread on here about how to plumb a washer and utility sink into an existing 4" stack. My plan was to run 2" horizontally to pick up the laundry sink and washer after tying into the stack.

I talked with our local inspector here in Ohio and he said that any horizontal run to the stack after the washer standpipe has to be at least 3". He said the standpipe can be 2" but the horizontal run to the stack has to be at least 3"

I checked into the Ohio Administrative Code » 4101:3 Board of Building Standards: Ohio Plumbing Code » Chapter 4101:3-4 Fittings and this is what it states for clothes washers:

AUTOMATIC CLOTHES WASHERS

406.3 Waste connection. The waste from an automatic clothes washer shall discharge through an air break into a standpipe in accordance with Section 802.4 or into a laundry sink. The trap and fixture drain for an automatic clothes washer standpipe shall be a minimum of 2 inches (51 mm) in diameter. The automatic clothes washer fixture drain shall connect to a branch drain or drainage stack a minimum of 3 inches (76 mm) in diameter. Automatic clothes washers that discharge by gravity shall be permitted to drain to a waste receptor or an approved trench drain.

So I wonder if running the 2" horizontally after the standpipe into the 4" stack will satisfy this code since the code says, "fixture drain shall connect to a branch drain or drainage stack a minimum of 3 inches (76 mm) in diameter."

The "or" part gets me. Looks like you have to connect into a branch drain OR stack of at least 3". well I'll be connecting into a 4" stack. I can't imaging I would need 3" for the run to the stack. How do you interpret this?

Thanks.

In the photo disregard the fitting placement they are not final but address the "green horizontal" run that would pick up the washer and sink and then terminate into the stack.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hammerlane; 10-28-2011, 09:40 AM.

Re: Horizontal Run After Washer Standpipe To Be 3 inch??????

This is great news! The s.f. Plumbing inspector dan shea has moved to ohio.plumbers all over the city will be dancing in the streets !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

As that code is applied in this area you would be correct in running the horizontal 2" pipe into the 4" stack. However, if you were to attach a sink to that line then the point at which the sink joins in would have to step up to 3".

Comment

Originally posted by Jones Mechanicals View Post
        As that code is applied in this area you would be correct in running the horizontal 2" pipe into the 4" stack. However, if you were to attach a sink to that line then the point at which the sink joins in would have to step up to 3".
        I see no sink in His diagram! 2" is fine N code.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          I see no sink in His diagram! 2" is fine N code.
          Sorry...The stub out from the San-T(fitting #3 in photo) is for a laundry sink. See updated photo.

Also The 4" stack in the photo is servicing only 2 floor drains in my garage. You can see about 7 feet up on the stack where the 4" San-T ties in to pick up the floor drains. On top of this 4" San-T is a bushing for the 2". The 2" serves as a vent. This is the vent I was planning on tieing into for the laundry sink / washer standpipe set-up. No other fixtures in the house drain into this stack above where you see the San-T picking up the garage floor drains. Its all venting above that. So would it be OK to tie in as I propose for venting?

Thanks
          Attached Files
          Last edited by hammerlane; 10-28-2011, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            This is great news! The s.f. Plumbing inspector dan shea has moved to ohio.plumbers all over the city will be dancing in the streets !
            Was this the same guy that wanted a drip leg on each directional change on gas pipe?

Comment

Originally posted by Jones Mechanicals View Post
              What Plumbing code do you guys follow in Colorado?

I.P.C. = Total D.F.U's for sink and laundry box is 4, and maximum D.F.U.'s for a 2" branch interval is 6 D.F.U.'s. By all means I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't understand how the 3" pipe walls are going to be washed with such little D.F.U.'s on the line. How often is someone going to be using the laundry sink "while" the washing machine is draining at the same time?

I don't know, I just never seen that done in my career.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                What Plumbing code do you guys follow in Colorado?

I.P.C. = Total D.F.U's for sink and laundry box is 4, and maximum D.F.U.'s for a 2" branch interval is 6 D.F.U.'s. By all means I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't understand how the 3" pipe walls are going to be washed with such little D.F.U.'s on the line. How often is someone going to be using the laundry sink "while" the washing machine is draining at the same time?

I don't know, I just never seen that done in my career.
                Yes they are using IPC and yes it was news to me too. I do more heating and cooling than plumbing. While on a job installing the boiler system I watched an inspector tell a plumber he would have to redo the washer and sink drain for this very topic.

Comment

Tha tis a waste of money to me. We never run three inch after washing machine outlet and deep sink.
                  Maybe they are worried about back wash of suds or something???
                  Just leave that guy out of it alltogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                    Was this the same guy that wanted a drip leg on each directional change on gas pipe?
                    Yes, same IDIOT!

Comment

How about putting the washer next to the 4" line instead of the sink. Connect to the stack with two different 2" lines (washer on top, sink on bottom) as long as it does not make the washer standpipe to short.
                      26+6=1

Comment

good idea.

Comment

Spoke with city plumbing inspector again today. From when I spoke with him last there may have been a little confusion about what size stack the laundry tub/washer standpipe branch drain would be dumping into.

After he verified that my existing stack was 4", he said :
                          1)a 2" horizontal branch drain to pick up both both the laundry tub and washer standpipe would suffice since my existing stack was 4"
                          2)would be OK to use an AAV on the laundry tub
                          3)would be OK to tie into the stack with a San-Tee....no need to use the Tee-Wye.

Comment

Working...
                          X