Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/8 or 3/4 HEPEX - Which to use for baseboard

Hi All:
    Appreciate your help. I'm new to this forum and doing some work at my house adding a new room.

It's about a 70 foot run from my Weil McClain condensing boiler to the new room. I need about 14 feet of baseboard to heat that room.

My plumbing supply house says 5/8 HEPEX is fine. That it can carry something like 12,000 btu's for 100 feet vs. only about 8,000 btu's needed for that load.

Wanted to get a 2nd opinion. 3/4 tubing is going to be a handful in the tight spaces but I'm worried 5/8 won't be a good choice here. What are your thoughts?

Re: 5/8 or 3/4 HEPEX - Which to use for baseboard

If you're talking about standard hydronic baseboard 3/4" (slant/fin, Embassy..etc) stay with the 3/4 piping. The only time I would even consider reducing down 1 size would be for kick-space heaters.

I know nothing about the HEPEX though...as I don't use it. I don't know how you would use a Pex tool on regular Hydronic baseboard, cause the copper is way too thin to squeeze it....it will crush.
    Last edited by Flux; 11-02-2011, 09:47 PM.

Comment

3/4" All the way. They make a support bend 90 to hold the pipe in a tight bend without allowing the tube to kink.

Comment

You could potentialy use 1/2 pex and it would be more workable

Comment

Originally posted by money in jetting View Post
          You could potentialy use 1/2 pex and it would be more workable
          This is coming from the same person who next week will sell you $25k in a whole new system because the thermocouple failed.

Comment

You are partly correct. I will also notice the hacked piping from the one who didnt know how to size properly, explaining the inefficiencys will leed to the sale.

Comment

?????? Idiot

I'm sorry that was direct and rude and not allowed by the site. I shall rephrase.

I'm sorry that money in jetting is so full of crap that fresh rolls of toilet paper are available just for logging in. I'm sorry that money in jetting can't back up one word he has said and with all the money he makes a year, has no camera. I'm sorry money in jetting is to busy to answer up and explain his responses...wait a minute? I'm not sorry after all...money in jetting is the sorry one!
              Last edited by Jones Mechanicals; 11-02-2011, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Words like idiot and full of crap detract from the relevant issues. What is the allowable flow rate for 3/4 pex that you recommend?

Comment

Words like idiot and full of crap detract from the relevant issues. What is the allowable flow rate for 3/4 pex that you recommend?
                  LMAO...You're funny!

Depending on the situation, which you gave none...I don't design a system to run over 3.5 gpm on a 3/4 line.

Comment

Would you run 3/4 at say 2.5 gpm or 3.0 gpm?

Comment

I'm done with you. Put up a pic. Prove you are one letter of what you claim, because You Sir have already proven to me you are a hack. Now it's your time to shine and show you are not. Go out to your truck and get a pic.

Comment

Its late and im lazy!

Comment

Its late and im lazy!
                          Late, Lazy, AND FULL OF $HIT!!!

Comment

Would you run 3/4 at say 2.5 gpm or 3.0 gpm?
                            That's a loaded question. lol

Comment

I'll give ya an easy one Money Bags...how many feet of 1/2 hpex would you use max on a loop of in floor radiant? Outdoor min temp is -15F. Indoor design temp is 74F. Mod/Con boiler with a max/min temp set of 145/106. Also what flow rate would you design that loop? No velocity...convert it.

I will give even more information. The system is staple-up as I'm sure you know by the temp design so I meant no insult. The average barametric pressure is 29.65 millibars and the altitude is 7,500 ASL (above sea level). While we are at it...how much does the boiler need to be derated for that altitude?
                              Last edited by Jones Mechanicals; 11-02-2011, 11:43 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Working...
                              X