Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can shower & wash. mach. share the same trap?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can shower & wash. mach. share the same trap?

    I've installed a new shower stall in place of the old tub, which was on 1 1/2" drain line. The new 2" shower drain is located right next to where my 2" drain from the washing machine passes. Can I hook the shower into this drain, before the trap and utilize the trap of the wash machine?

    Just as a note, I don't believe we would ever be using the shower and wash machine together.

  • #2
    Re: Can shower & wash. mach. share the same trap?

    No, each fixture needs it's own trap.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Can shower & wash. mach. share the same trap?

      Each fixture needs its own trap and each needs to be vented.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      Ron's Facebook
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Can shower & wash. mach. share the same trap?

        A shower cannot be drained into a line for a washing machine.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Can shower & wash. mach. share the same trap?

          Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
          A shower cannot be drained into a line for a washing machine.
          Line..
          Certain line yes
          Other line no

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Can shower & wash. mach. share the same trap?

            OK, so I ended up making a trap for the shower, running the 2" shower line about 7' into a 3x3x2 Reducing Wye from the toilet, which I understand will help keep the toilet line cleaner with the low flow toilet I'll install, and then into the vented main stack.

            The way it worked out I couldn't get much pitch on the shower line, but I tested the shower by dumping in a 5 gal. pail of water, and it drains well.

            I found out that glueing the ABS is a job that involves a lot of pre-planning to come out right....good thing for flex couplings.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Can shower & wash. mach. share the same trap?

              Especially a shower needs 1/4"fall so it can keep itself clean.
              Flex couplings missaligned are illegal.
              Would this pass inspection?
              I write this for future readers.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Can shower & wash. mach. share the same trap?

                Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                Especially a shower needs 1/4"fall so it can keep itself clean.
                Flex couplings missaligned are illegal.
                Would this pass inspection?
                I write this for future readers.
                I guess time will tell if pitch is sufficient, if not I may be able to adjust. Flex couplings not mis-aligned, btw friends house, washer on 2nd floor, pvc drain coupling not cut square by licensed plumber gave way after 1 1/2 years and made a flood.

                Pass inspection? I don't really care, as long as it drains and doesn't leak, I'm satisfied, plus I can keep some money in my pocket and out of plumbers'.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Can shower & wash. mach. share the same trap?

                  Originally posted by PhilC View Post
                  I guess time will tell if pitch is sufficient, if not I may be able to adjust. Flex couplings not mis-aligned, btw friends house, washer on 2nd floor, pvc drain coupling not cut square by licensed plumber gave way after 1 1/2 years and made a flood.

                  Pass inspection? I don't really care, as long as it drains and doesn't leak, I'm satisfied, plus I can keep some money in my pocket and out of plumbers'.
                  Nothing that hasn't been said before by others on this forum.

                  The problem lies where more and more systems are being installed by untrained individuals.
                  Flippers/realestate with their illegals are the worst.General contractors using the huspanic tile setter to do plumbing is next.Leaving the homeowner bringing up the pack who sells his house(or the kids) down the road.Now it's up to me to fix their mess and have the current resident,usually the widow,pay.

                  Sorry about the unprofessional licensed contractor.P/M me his info and I'll let him know how it hurts us when mistakes(intentional or not) are made.

                  I need this point made.
                  A lot of my work now consists of going back behind those who insist on making an income in this economy doing stupid things telling others they know what they are doing and end burdening the homeowner who is now paying twice the amount of what they would have payed had they hired a QUALIFIED contractor.

                  Our state is no longer capable of providing citizens with a real contractor.It does offer them a broad selection of different types of licensed and Illegal garbage.

                  One must use a contractor that has referals from trusted friends.

                  Your system certainly sounds confident to people who don't know.Many times this does not work out.

                  This is for future readers not you PhilC.
                  I mean no disrespect Sir.
                  Adam

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Can shower & wash. mach. share the same trap?

                    Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Nothing that hasn't been said before by others on this forum.

                    The problem lies where more and more systems are being installed by untrained individuals.
                    Flippers/realestate with their illegals are the worst.General contractors using the huspanic tile setter to do plumbing is next.Leaving the homeowner bringing up the pack who sells his house(or the kids) down the road.Now it's up to me to fix their mess and have the current resident,usually the widow,pay.

                    Sorry about the unprofessional licensed contractor.P/M me his info and I'll let him know how it hurts us when mistakes(intentional or not) are made.

                    I need this point made.
                    A lot of my work now consists of going back behind those who insist on making an income in this economy doing stupid things telling others they know what they are doing and end burdening the homeowner who is now paying twice the amount of what they would have payed had they hired a QUALIFIED contractor.

                    Our state is no longer capable of providing citizens with a real contractor.It does offer them a broad selection of different types of licensed and Illegal garbage.

                    One must use a contractor that has referals from trusted friends.

                    Your system certainly sounds confident to people who don't know.Many times this does not work out.

                    This is for future readers not you PhilC.
                    I mean no disrespect Sir.
                    Adam
                    Well thought out and delivered, Adam! I think this sums it up " YOU SAVE,OTHERS PAY ! "
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Can shower & wash. mach. share the same trap?

                      Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Nothing that hasn't been said before by others on this forum.

                      The problem lies where more and more systems are being installed by untrained individuals.
                      Flippers/realestate with their illegals are the worst.General contractors using the huspanic tile setter to do plumbing is next.Leaving the homeowner bringing up the pack who sells his house(or the kids) down the road.Now it's up to me to fix their mess and have the current resident,usually the widow,pay.

                      Sorry about the unprofessional licensed contractor.P/M me his info and I'll let him know how it hurts us when mistakes(intentional or not) are made.

                      I need this point made.
                      A lot of my work now consists of going back behind those who insist on making an income in this economy doing stupid things telling others they know what they are doing and end burdening the homeowner who is now paying twice the amount of what they would have payed had they hired a QUALIFIED contractor.

                      Our state is no longer capable of providing citizens with a real contractor.It does offer them a broad selection of different types of licensed and Illegal garbage.

                      One must use a contractor that has referals from trusted friends.

                      Your system certainly sounds confident to people who don't know.Many times this does not work out.

                      This is for future readers not you PhilC.
                      I mean no disrespect Sir.
                      Adam
                      Thank you Adam and I mean no disrespect either. I can empathize with the plight many in your trade are facing in these tough economic times. I also realize that when I post a question, you as a pro can only respond with the proper, to code answer. I guess this is less a DIY site than it is a board for pros.

                      I really believe that anyone can be guilty of shoddy work and if you apply yourself everyone can do a proper job.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Can shower & wash. mach. share the same trap?

                        Originally posted by PhilC View Post
                        Thank you Adam and I mean no disrespect either. I can empathize with the plight many in your trade are facing in these tough economic times. I also realize that when I post a question, you as a pro can only respond with the proper, to code answer. I guess this is less a DIY site than it is a board for pros.

                        I really believe that anyone can be guilty of shoddy work and if you apply yourself everyone can do a proper job.
                        Thank-you Phil.
                        I help but only by choice through PMs.Too many tearing stuff up anymore.
                        Marching on

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X