Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Can a PLASTIC water line to a refrigerator later be dry-walled in? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can a PLASTIC water line to a refrigerator later be dry-walled in?

In California, everything causes cancer. Even the banks have up signs saying stuff inside the building causes cancer. WTH!
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

So now Pex causes cancer huh?

Comment

I haven't ever been to California. Are there really signs like that in banks? Regardless.. I drink a ton of water from my fridge filter system, so it's an easy choice when I see that one option causes Cancer.."in California".

Comment

Originally posted by Jones Mechanicals View Post
          Every home should have a water leak sensing system with automatic water shut off valve. Insurance companys should be paying to have these put in as well. Hydro-com makes a very nice wireless unit.

Hydrocom™ - Conserve & Control
          Insurance companies should say if your dumb enough to work on plumbing in your own house and flood the house, you the homeowner should pay for it. Just as if your doing your own electrical work and burn your house down, oh well. Hire a licensed insured contractor. If he messes it up, his insurance pays. this would cut down on claims.

I just had a customer try to rebuild his delta valve, he couldnt get the bonnet off, didnt know he cracked the little copper tube behind the wall, a week it leaked, upstairs bath, he left for another 2 weeks out of the country, came home to a mess, his insurance paid out 15,000$. Then 2 weeks later he was doing more work, didnt learn his lesson I guess and broke off a cpvc line in the cieling, luckily he got the water turned back off and was able to clean up the mess.

If insurance companies were smart they would have a clause about stupidity.
          Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Originally posted by Hosh View Post
            I don't know if it is the same everywhere, but near me all of the plastic fridge water lines I have seen have a big message on the package about California declaring that the water lines cause Cancer. That has been reason enough for me to stay away - even if it only appears to be a fact in California.

Andrew
            All chime in on this one. Years ago the idiots that run this state passed a proposition called Prop 65. In a nut shell if a known chemical is on the EPA's known carcinogen list then the product needs to list that it may cause cancer. One of the chemical components of virtually all plastic is Benzine, which is on the EPA's list. The way around the law and skirt liability you need only post a sign in the doorway of your business, which is a Prop 65 warning. You will find them in the doorway of virtually every business. You can't go to a H.D. in California that does not have these signs on the front door and posted all over the stores, especially in the electrical department, (wire) and in the shelf, kitchen cabinets, (formaldehyde) etc. . .

California's political agenda: Well watch out for you and tell you whats best, because we know you can't do it for yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by BizzyBeePlumbing,Inc. View Post
              If insurance companies were smart they would have a clause about stupidity.
              They do its called 'CANCELLATION'.

Here in California, the insurance companies share claim information. If damage is caused by leaking pipe(s) the insurance company will only pay for the actual damage, not the actually repair. I have neighbors come to my front door at all hours of the day and week with emergency slab leaks, wall leaks etc... When they tell me there going to call there insurance company I tell them good luck with getting insured again. Generally most insurance companies out here will give you a pass on your first leak. The second one, they don't pay off and they cancel your policy.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                Yeah and they still think copper cant leak...especially the general contractors that do plumbing work. Thats a nice story you share but it happens with all types of pipe for various reasons from water quality to improper installation.
                In my business I have been using plastic pipe for over 25 years and have yet to have any of the brands we use fail. Where I see plastic pipe fail is when its exposed to any form of UV lighting.

Comment

I wouldn't put plastic 1/4" tube behind a wall.It will eventually develope holes and leak.I've replaced a few now.Copper and a good valve,that is the only way to go in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X