Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a PLASTIC water line to a refrigerator later be dry-walled in?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a PLASTIC water line to a refrigerator later be dry-walled in?

I'd like to attach a saddle-valve to the cold water pipe to the kitchen faucet.
    Then run the line down through the cabinet base and along the basement ceiling to a refrigerator in an enclosed back porch about 12 feet away.

If I drywall the basement ceiling, musthat waterline be copper?
    By having the saddle-valve in the sink base cabinet it remains accessible.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 11-04-2011, 10:00 PM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Can a PLASTIC water line to a refrigerator later be dry-walled in?

Those saddle valves always seem to leak after a few years. Do it right and cut the pipe and put a real stop in. You won't be sorry.
    I don't think it would be a problem having the plastic behind drywall. Heck, everyone is puting that pex crap in walls now anyhow.
    I'm a copper guy, but I probably have to change to keep making money, huh. It's a sad day.
    Last edited by nobackfall; 11-05-2011, 12:12 AM.

Comment

You can run the plastic 1/4" line, but it needs to be encased in another pipe, ie 1/2" plastic pipe if it is to be covered up.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
        You can run the plastic 1/4" line, but it needs to be encased in another pipe, ie 1/2" plastic pipe if it is to be covered up.
        Would that be cheaper than copper?
        Can the refrigerator's long plastic tube connect to a copper coupling? I'd like to run the tube straighthrough the wall into the basement because the porch islightlyulnerable to freezing temperatures.
        (This 2003 Whirlpool Gold 36-inch side-by-side refrigerator was left athe curb with a wall-mount double oven and large self-propelled lawn mower with worn-out tires. I could not use them.)
        Last edited by Robert Gift; 11-05-2011, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Ref. plastic lines are not the way to go. Angle stop and copper. If You want to cheap out, take Mom to MacDonald's !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Otay. I'll install copper.

We've had a saddle valve supplying the swamp cooler for years. What's the problem?
            Restricted flow?
            Thanks.

Comment

Yes. They are garbage. Look at the tiny hole it pierces in the pipe.It doesn't take much to clog em,. Trust me do not install one.The sleeving for the plastic tubing is a good idea as well..That way when / if the tubing fails , you can pull a new run through it. Personally I would find a way to run it through the cabinets or if that's not possible I would loop a piece from the kitchen water lines and back up to the fridge location with a real valve under the kitchen sink.
              Last edited by OLD1; 11-05-2011, 10:02 PM.
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                Yes. They are garbage. Look at the tiny hole it pierces in the pipe.It doesn't take much to clog em,. Trust me do not install one.The sleeving for the plastic tubing is a good idea as well..That way when / if the tubing fails , you can pull a new run through it. Personally I would find a way to run it through the cabinets or if that's not possible I would loop a piece from the kitchen water lines and back up to the fridge location with a real valve under the kitchen sink.
                No way to get the tube to the refrigerator without going under the kitchen floor to the back porch.
                I'll have to install a Tee compression fitting since I am afraid to solder. Also the stop is just an inch above where the T would be cut in.
                Yes, our swamp cooler tube replaces just evaporated water so a too slow flow rate is not important.

Comment

I tee'd off a copper line, and brought 1/2" copper up through the floor to a stop valve behind the fridge. Then I used 3/8" polyethylene tubing for the service loop connecting that to the fridge. I like plastic for the service loop better than soft copper tubing, plus it costs less.

Beware, though - if you use a reverse osmosis system, copper downstream of the RO is much more likely to develop pinholes. You should use polyethylene in that case.

Whirlpool (which includes Kitchen Aid and Maytag) does not recommend running soft water to their icemakers.

I have used polyethylene in the past in the crawl space (never drywalled it in) but always run it inside another pipe. It keeps visiting varmints from biting on it and flooding the crawl space.

Comment

Pex would be a better choice than polyethylene. Polyethylene will dry out and crack like raw pasta noodles and the heat from the back of the frig accelerates this process. Pex is manufactured in 3/8" o.d. and 1/4" od. rolls.

Use pex or copper and install a typical fixture stop,not a saddle valve. I prefer to locate the stop valve where a homeowner can get to the valve without moving the frig,some people do not have the strenght to move the frig to access the valve.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                      Pex would be a better choice than polyethylene. Polyethylene will dry out and crack like raw pasta noodles and the heat from the back of the frig accelerates this process. Pex is manufactured in 3/8" o.d. and 1/4" od. rolls.

Use pex or copper and install a typical fixture stop,not a saddle valve. I prefer to locate the stop valve where a homeowner can get to the valve without moving the frig,some people do not have the strenght to move the frig to access the valve.
                      Plastic refer line went about 12 years ago on a customers home. Insurance paid for all new hardwood floors 1 st floor.
                      Anybody with plastic refer line should have a SERVE PRO [ WATER N FIRE CLEAN UP] MAGNET ON THE ICE BOX. Olf farts still say
                      ice box!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        Plastic refer line went about 12 years ago on a customers home. Insurance paid for all new hardwood floors 1 st floor.
                        Anybody with plastic refer line should have a SERVE PRO [ WATER N FIRE CLEAN UP] MAGNET ON THE ICE BOX. Olf farts still say
                        ice box!
                        Every home should have a water leak sensing system with automatic water shut off valve. Insurance companys should be paying to have these put in as well. Hydro-com makes a very nice wireless unit.

Hydrocomâ„¢ - Conserve & Control

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          ice box!
                          Yeah and they still think copper cant leak...especially the general contractors that do plumbing work. Thats a nice story you share but it happens with all types of pipe for various reasons from water quality to improper installation.

Comment

That's a nice Snarky shot , are We having a bad day ,HONEY ?

Comment

I don't know if it is the same everywhere, but near me all of the plastic fridge water lines I have seen have a big message on the package about California declaring that the water lines cause Cancer. That has been reason enough for me to stay away - even if it only appears to be a fact in California.

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X