Basement Bathroom Rough In Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement Bathroom Rough In Questions

I'm getting ready to rough in a new bathroom in my basement and I have a few questions. I would really appreciate any advice.

I will be breaking into an existing 4" sewer pipe under the floor. Does the connection to this pipe (3" from my new bathroom group) have to enter the existing pipe above center? I will be connecting with a 4X4X3 reducing wye.

Same question futher up the line when the 2" drain pipe from the shower/lav connects to the 3" from the WC. This one will be wet venting.

I'm a bit concerned about depth. If all of the connections need to be above center I may run out of floor to bury my pipe in.

I will provide a scetch once I get a few basics out of the way.

Another question regarding closet flanges...

How do I install the toilet flange after I repour the floor? The ones I have seen a meant to go outside the 3" pipe that would be sticking up. I do not know how thick my floor will be once I level and tile. It seems like I might have to chip away some of the new floor to get the flange over the pipe after I level and tile. Am I missing something?

Thanks in adavance,

Mike

Re: Basement Bathroom Rough In Questions

wrap cardboard around the riser for your closet flange, after the concrete gets poured you can pull the cardboard out with a pair of channel locks. Then just cut the riser off when you're ready to glue the flange on.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Thanks for the fast answer. That sounds perfect.
      Can you help me with the above center question. Does my question make sense?

Comment

Yes it must be above center or else thé 4x3 wye will be back grading i use sil gasket foam around my toilet riser use Ã* 4x3 90 for your water closet/ toilet then thé flange Can go on thé inside art you wet. Venting thé shower and toilet thru thé lav If So you must pick thé lav off thé shower ARM. À sketch would be helpful goodluck seanny.

Comment

Instead of stubbing up through the floor with 3", come up through the new slab w/ a 4" riser instead and you can install the flange on the inside of the pipe.

Comment

Here is my sketch. Comments are welcome...Name:  85d0fce4d87cc5efaa049a84068e4083.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  80.7 KB

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a few more specific commments/questions...
              Name:  b25dcb4b9d47efa3994bfb38a3806c10.jpg
Size:  76.8 KB

Just to confirm that joint 1 is ok to be attached near center because there is no venting going on but joint 2 needs to be more above center because it is wet venting. Did I get this right?
              I do understand that everything has to slope 1/4" per foot.

Name:  20c7ba691db12b83125abef5a7871a11.jpg
Size:  86.0 KB

Are my pipe sizes correct? I sized the lav/floor drain pipe at 2" because it is also the vent but then I sized the vent itself at 1 1/2". The smaller vwent pipe will help me out in the ceiling.

I love the 4" X 3" closet elbow with the flange inside! thanks dlarrivee!!!

I think I will move the shower/lav drain to connect to the horizontal pipe. It will definately help reduce depth. I just thought that the flow from the shower might help prevent clogs because the wife wants a low flow toilet.

Name:  da4b88e714b8dc04d65dd429c77eded1.jpg
Size:  214.9 KB

I think I will need to keep the shower vent because it is near 10ft from the shower trap to the lav vent. Unfortunately my bathroom wraps around the chimney so I dont have much option to shortcut!

Will the shower drain fit inside the 2" drain pipe or do I need to accomodate for that when I re-pour the floor?

Sorry I'm an engineer and it makes me a bit obsessed with details. lol

Thanks again for the great input.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fox View Post
                Thanks for the feedback.

I have a few more specific commments/questions...
                Name:  b25dcb4b9d47efa3994bfb38a3806c10.jpg
Size:  76.8 KB

Just to confirm that joint 1 is ok to be attached near center because there is no venting going on but joint 2 needs to be more above center because it is wet venting. Did I get this right?
                I do understand that everything has to slope 1/4" per foot.

Name:  20c7ba691db12b83125abef5a7871a11.jpg
Size:  86.0 KB

Are my pipe sizes correct? I sized the lav/floor drain pipe at 2" because it is also the vent but then I sized the vent itself at 1 1/2". The smaller vwent pipe will help me out in the ceiling.

I love the 4" X 3" closet elbow with the flange inside! thanks dlarrivee!!!

I think I will move the shower/lav drain to connect to the horizontal pipe. It will definately help reduce depth. I just thought that the flow from the shower might help prevent clogs because the wife wants a low flow toilet.

Name:  da4b88e714b8dc04d65dd429c77eded1.jpg
Size:  214.9 KB

I think I will need to keep the shower vent because it is near 10ft from the shower trap to the lav vent. Unfortunately my bathroom wraps around the chimney so I dont have much option to shortcut!

Will the shower drain fit inside the 2" drain pipe or do I need to accomodate for that when I re-pour the floor?

Sorry I'm an engineer and it makes me a bit obsessed with details. lol

Thanks again for the great input.
                I don't know the code where you live, but here in Minnesota you can't have flat vents below 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture on the branch interval. Generally this number is figured at 42". So your flat vents under the slab wouldn't pass inspection here.

I like the Sioux Chief PVC flush fit flanges that have a SS adjustable ring. Cut the 4" riser flush, and cement and slide the flange inside the 4".
                I suggest avoiding foamcore pipe.
                I didn't read whether you're building a tile shower pan, or installing a fiberglass shower. If it's a fiberglass shower you can leave a few inches of area open around around your shower drain. Depending on the base you may need the room later to make your shower drain connection.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by flat vent. Can you explain?

Im building a tile pan.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

According to thé national plumbing code of canada your two inch shower drain must be within 8ft of connection to water closet wet vent which can be individually vented thru the lavatory 6ou have a bathroom group adding the 2" floor drain and shower is pushing your fixture units, the line wet venting the shower and water closet must remain 2" untill the connection for the trap arm on the lav know with that floor drain you are over your fixture units "check wet venting serving a water closet table 2.5.8.1" "2003 code" maximum fixture units drained to water closet on a 2" line if 3fu your shower is 1.5 and your lav is 1.5 therefor the floor drain which is 2fu forces you to run a 3" wet vent which i wouldnt dick with. Know if you take a branch off before you water closet or wet vent, you can take a 3" Branch off for a "emergency floor drain" must be worded that way and run a three inch floor drain which doesnt require a vent.. therefor you can run your 2" wet vent for your w.c shower and lav meets requirements.. because the three inch floor drain isnt receiving discharge from a fixture or appliance i would pipe for a trap primer although not required saves you going and pouring water in it when the wife complains about a nasty smell.. if your putting a low flush toilet check out the outlet hole and make sure its atleats 2.5" alot of the cheap shitty toilets are more like 1.5"
                    Last edited by seanny deep; 11-08-2011, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X