X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tool do I need?

I am trying to remove the brass mounting nut from the underside of a widespread faucet in the bathroom. I was able to get the faucet nut off but it took a few hours!

I am now working on removing the hot and cold nuts. There is not much room under there and I was unable to take the nut off with a regular wrench. I tried a basin wrench, but again there wasn't much room to get the basin wrench in around the nut. I also bought the RIDGID faucet installer tool but the stem is too big for the shaft of the tool so I can't even get the tool up to the nut. In addition the nut appears to be 1.125-1.25 in. and the tool can only accomodate 1" nut.

The plumbing is probably about 20 years old(original). What tool do I need?! I am not sure how they even installed the thing! The only way I can think of is that they installed them on the sink and then laid down the sink. I do not want to remove the sink! Not sure if this is a small project or what(there are no clamps attaching the sink). There is also a valve on the side of the stem that makes things difficult. Any ideas??
    Attachment Attachment Attachment

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: What tool do I need?

The trim plates on the hot and cold sides should thread off the valves and the valves should drop out through the bottom.

Comment

YOU NEED A BASIN WRENCH, I has a spring jaw and articulates. Made for that difficult access on basin nuts. Hardware will have it.
      Hit it with liquid wrench first ,and let it penetrate a lil while. Good luck . let Us Know what You think. Tool
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Jones Mechanicals View Post
        The trim plates on the hot and cold sides should thread off the valves and the valves should drop out through the bottom.

LOL... Yup what you said!

Comment

use a vice grip to secure the valve body against the wall, not the sink. this will allow you to inscrew the top chrome trim with another channel lock or vice grip and prevent the valve body from turning. this of course is for removing the faucet and not trying to salvage it as you'll destroy the chrome trim with pliers/ wrench.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Wholeinone04....I was in the same predicament earlier this year and was working this same issue on and off for over a week. Thank God it was the basement shower sink which allowed time to figure this out. In my case I had a nadly pitted 40 year old Gerber sink fixture which was previously installed using some horrible plumbers putty which hardened to the consistancy of epoxy. I tried using 3 difference types of basin wrenches even my trusty Rigid square beam basin wrench. Would not/could not loosen the 1/8-inch thick locknet even with a adjustable wrench wrapped around the square beam extension. Posted my problem on a few of the plumbing forums and the best responses were to either use a 6 point deep walled impact socket and ratchet and the alternative/final method (ugh!) using a sawzall to cut the part off after wrapping masking tape on the porcelin to minimize scratches during the sawing. I borrowed friends Harbor Freight deep walled socket set, trial and error selecting proper socket size and bingo they finally broken free....did I mention using Kroil penetrating oil is your best friend also?

The newer American Standard replacement fixtures use nylon locknuts with "finger tightening" wingnuts which will be a joy to loosen down the road when updating fixtures some 20 years from now if I am still alive. Good luck and be sure and wear goggles when doing this task...ask me why after you've completed this project

Comment

How about just removing the sink with a hot putty knife and a hammer? Gently tap, tap, tap. It takes time but you can do it.
              26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                use a vice grip to secure the valve body against the wall, not the sink. this will allow you to inscrew the top chrome trim with another channel lock or vice grip and prevent the valve body from turning. this of course is for removing the faucet and not trying to salvage it as you'll destroy the chrome trim with pliers/ wrench.

rick.
                Just one question Rick how does one inscrew the top chrome trim is there a special spanner for that or a new plumbing term

Tony

Comment

Working...
                X