Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frost proof sillcock

Howdy fellas,
    My Mother in law has a frost proof sillcock that is leaking. I am goint to try and repair it for her before the winter gets here. It says on the handle that it is a Duraflo. I can not find anyone around here that has them or that has heard of them. I understand that the kits are not universal for frost proof sillcocks. I changed the washers etc on my own Woodford, 17 but have no idea about this Duraflo. Has anyone heard of them? The house was built about 26 years ago. I appreciate any advice or help you can give. Thanks -TPS

Re: Frost proof sillcock

Save yourself a lot of time and trouble...replace it with a Woodford.

Comment

Second that motion.....
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Jones Mechanicals View Post
        Save yourself a lot of time and trouble...replace it with a Woodford.
        Why not just replace the worn washers? Much trouble and cost for some of us to unsolder and resolder in an new sillhahn.
        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
          Why not just replace the worn washers? Much trouble and cost for some of us to unsolder and resolder in an new sillhahn.
          Most of the time its an etched seat in the body, which is not removable....and so if solder is an issue, just sharkbite a female adapter on the copper and go....

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
            Most of the time its an etched seat in the body, which is not removable....and so if solder is an issue, just sharkbite a female adapter on the copper and go....
            Is there a way to reburnish the valve seat, like a burnishing bit on a drill? Or are the fissures too deep?
            I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
            It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
            "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
              Is there a way to reburnish the valve seat, like a burnishing bit on a drill? Or are the fissures too deep?

Well I am not sure how you would access the seat being its in the bottom of the 6" to 14" body....and is a very small pathway to get there....and yes....I don't think there is much of a seat thickness to begin with...Now having said that, Woodford does have a "floating seat" style that can be rebuilt...I don't think anybody else does...but not 100% sure on that one....

Derek

Comment

The replacement with a quality hose bib is far less expensive, even with a sharkbite for those who can't solder, than the time wasted in attempting to refurbish the old unit. IMO

Comment

I agree with replacement. Chances are, you would get done trying to fix the old one, and it would still leak. Just like those old two handle tub faucets I try to fix all the time.

Comment

Thanks guys,
                    I appreciate the professional input. I think I will just replace it with the one recommended. I was trying to avoid getting under the house crawl space it is such a tight squeeze for my big rear end : )
                    Thanks again to all who responded,
                    TPS

Comment

Working...
                    X