X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leaking Oatey Washing Machine Shutoff Valve

It might have been easier just to call a plumber 2 weeks and this is still going on.
    Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Biizzybee: thats great advice. How in the world did you ever come up with that solution?

I can deal with the leak from the handle while the valve is on. Maybe 2 hours on Sunday when clothes are washed and losing quart of water.

Mainly posting these photos to help someone else out if they encounter the same situation.

But in the end maybe they should just call a plumber.
      Last edited by hammerlane; 11-21-2011, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hammerlane View Post
        Biizzybee: thats great advice. How in the world did you ever come up with that solution?

I can deal with the leak from the handle while the valve is on. Maybe 2 hours on Sunday when clothes are washed and losing quart of water.

Mainly posting these photos to help someone else out if they encounter the same situation.

But in the end maybe they should just call a plumber.
        Sorry it's just our first response to calls like this..Come on can you blame us. It's only natural
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
          Sorry it's just our first response to calls like this..Come on can you blame us. It's only natural
          I understand. Spread the wealth around. OLD1 do you have an identical washer valve you can sell me? If I could find one the fix would take 5 minutes. I was originally told by Oatey that the new valve with the hammer arrestors would fit on the old taps. But like I said I come to find out it will not.

If you have an identical washer valve I'll buy it off you.

"Its hard to soar like an eagle when you-re flying with turkeys"

Comment

watts also makes an identical valve and as far as i know it should substitute.

Image Detail for - http://images.drillspot.com/pimages/2671/267105_300.jpg

excellent thread and excellent photos with captions.

there is even a valve now that has a wind up timer that will shout off the water after your preset time. it too should substitute.

rick.

mueller / b k also makes a substitute and so does symmonds. go to amazon and type in washing machine valve. should have a great selection of substitutes.
            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-22-2011, 11:02 AM.
            phoebe it is

Comment

When I spoke with Oatey yesterday and sent then a photo of my old vavlve which is about 14 years old, the gentleman said even though the valve says Oatey on it, back then it was made by Watts.

Comment

Originally posted by hammerlane View Post
                I understand. Spread the wealth around. OLD1 do you have an identical washer valve you can sell me? If I could find one the fix would take 5 minutes. I was originally told by Oatey that the new valve with the hammer arrestors would fit on the old taps. But like I said I come to find out it will not.

If you have an identical washer valve I'll buy it off you.

Sorry no, If I did I would sell it to you.Do check out the watts though.Sounds like a hopeful fix. Good luck
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The fix here would of been replacing the valve assembly with matching parts, screw on water hammer arrestors.

I learned the first time that once you start mixing and matching on these valves, it's never going to work.

I just tell people when they have one leaking, I have to cut a hole into the wall directly beneath and rework the valve.

Costs more but I don't have to worry. Down time is non-existent.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I ended up putting on a new valve body and afterwards looking at old valve more closely was able to figure out how to remove stem to access o-rings. It was a rubiks cube. I posted photos of the valve stem disassembly on this new thread if interested in looking:

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t39698/

Comment

Working...
                    X