X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Oatey Washing Machine Shutoff Valve

I have an Oatey(model unknown) washing machine shutoff valve. It has a small leak under the handle when in the on position.

On the left side of the valve body is a recessed hex head screw.
    On top the valve body are two flat head screw.

1. What is the hex head screw for?
    2.What are the two flat head screws on top the valve body for?
    3. Any ideas on how to stop the leak undr the handle?
    Attached Files

Re: Leaking Oatey Washing Machine Shutoff Valve

The hex nut on the side I have never seen used. To fix the leak you can get another washer valve. Unscrew the two flat heads on top of the valve and swap the heads. There is a O-ring that makes the seal from the taps to the head of the valve.

Comment

Here is a pic of the hex head inside valve body. Plus I only have 5/8" to get a tool to that hex head. I have a call into Oatey to see how to disassemble. I thought those flat head screws are for flow adjustment. But you believe after undoing them I will have access to orings?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by hammerlane; 11-08-2011, 03:32 PM.

Comment

The hex head is a metric #6 and there is nothing under it. I have one on my truck I can take apart and show you pics if you like. Remove the 2 top screws and the valve body comes off the taps. Then you would install a new valve body. There is no repair of the leak at the stem area that I know of. Of course be sure to turn your main water off first and drain off the pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jones Mechanicals View Post
          The hex head is a metric #6 and there is nothing under it. I have one on my truck I can take apart and show you pics if you like. Remove the 2 top screws and the valve body comes off the taps. Then you would install a new valve body. There is no repair of the leak at the stem area that I know of. Of course be sure to turn your main water off first and drain off the pressure.
          If you could...at your convenience....send me a few photos or post a few here of what that valve assembly looks like taken apart.

Again at your convenience. If easier you can send direct to me at jayherenow@aol.com.

Thanks

Comment

Jones...After reading your post are you saying the only thing holding the vavle body onto the supply are the two flat head screws on top?
            Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	76b2c7e27fc6870341d009c81866b9a4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	15659Click image for larger version

Name:	b4bf83f67feedf7f07358ed7db568a72.jpg
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	15660

There is one O-ring per stem and one per top screw. The only possible service point that may help you to repair the leak is through the hose connection. There is a metric #8 hex that you may be able to tighten and resecure the internal seals. Beyond that it's a new head.

Comment

Originally posted by hammerlane View Post
                Jones...After reading your post are you saying the only thing holding the vavle body onto the supply are the two flat head screws on top?
                Yes...That is so you don't have to solder or get back into the wall to repair/replace these valves.

Comment

Originally posted by jones mechanicals View Post
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	76b2c7e27fc6870341d009c81866b9a4.jpg
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	15659Click image for larger version

Name:	b4bf83f67feedf7f07358ed7db568a72.jpg
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	15660

there is one o-ring per stem and one per top screw. The only possible service point that may help you to repair the leak is through the hose connection. There is a metric #8 hex that you may be able to tighten and resecure the internal seals. Beyond that it's a new head.
                  thanks and thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Jones Mechanicals View Post
                    Remove the 2 top screws and the valve body comes off the taps..

Jones....I got a new valve body with the water hammer arresters. Are those flat head screws that hold the valve body on a pain to get off. Even on the new valve body I'm having a hell of a time unscrewing the two flat head screws to remove the valve body.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I use a large flat head tip and a 1/4" ratchet for good access. Don't normally have any issues.

Comment

Thats what I'm thinking use a ratchet for more torque....have to get a larger tip flat-head from a buddy.
                        Last edited by hammerlane; 11-10-2011, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hammerlane View Post
                          Jones....I got a new valve body with the water hammer arresters. Are those flat head screws that hold the valve body on a pain to get off. Even on the new valve body I'm having a hell of a time unscrewing the two flat head screws to remove the valve body.
                          Welcome to our world.
                          26+6=1

Comment

Got screws off new valve by putting it in vice and using very large screwdriver.

Old valve was inside washing machine box so only 5" of height room...no large screwdriver would fit. Ended up using small 2" large tip screwdriver and to get more torque I fastened a crescent wrench to the shaft of the screwdriver right above the screw head.

Go to put new valve on the old taps and since the new valve has tabs near the bottom, I have to now get those ground or cut off. The guy from Oatey did mention I may have to do this.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I finally get the tabs cut off the new valve body so it will fit on the old taps. Secure new valve body to old taps(so i think), turn water back on and water starts spraying out where they meet. After several attempts to adjust, cannot stop leak.

Contact Oatey again and am told that even though both taps look identical, dimensionally they are a little different and the new valve body will not fit on the old taps.

Looks like I'm going into the wall to cut out the old taps and install the new. Oatey is going to provide me with an access panel covering for the wall cutout.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X