Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Can 1/4" OD .020 wall thickness SWAMP COOLER copper tubing supply refrigerator water? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can 1/4" OD .020 wall thickness SWAMP COOLER copper tubing supply refrigerator water?

"For Use As Evap Cooler Supply Line. Long Lasting"
    Mentions nothing about refrigerator.

Later this may becomenclosed in a basement ceiling.

Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Can 1/4" OD .020 wall thickness SWAMP COOLER copper tubing supply refrigerator wa

Erm? Swamp cooler copper and frig. water supply copper are the same thing.

Comment

Re: Can 1/4" OD .020 wall thickness SWAMP COOLER copper tubing supply refrigerator wa

Originally posted by Jones Mechanicals View Post
      Erm? Swamp cooler copper and frig. water supply copper are the same thing.
      Surprised thathey don't mention BOTH.

Planning to bring water from beneathe kitchen sink.
      Install 1/2" copper compression Tee. (I'm afraid to solder)
      1/2" copper pipe out of the Tee to a Stop with 1/4" outlet.
      11 feet across the basement ceiling to the exterior wall.
      (The refrigerator is in an enclosed back porch so I cannot place the valve there. No room and slight freezing risk.)
      Thank you.
      Last edited by Robert Gift; 11-12-2011, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
        Surprised thathey don't mention BOTH.

Planning to bring water from beneathe kitchen sink.
        Install 1/2" copper compression Tee. (I'm afraid to solder)
        1/2" copper pipe out of the Tee to a Stop with 1/4" outlet.
        11 feet across the basement ceiling to the exterior wall.
        (The refrigerator is in an enclosed back porch so I cannot place the valve there. No room and slight freezing risk.)
        Thank you.
        I'm confused? How is it that the same person playing with high voltage main-feeds, fuel gas solenoid valves for a range, and Emergency Responder not know how to hook a simple 1/4" water line for a frig without 3 threads dedicated to it?

Comment

Your advice is likely better than my plan.

I'm confused? How is it that the same person playing with high voltage main-feeds, fuel gas solenoid valves for a range, and Emergency Responder not know how to hook a simple 1/4" water line for a frig without 3 threads dedicated to it?
          When the package reads Evap Cooler, but not also Refrigerator, I wonder if it is approved for potable water? Something in the copper? Walls too thin?
          Also is the friction loss of 11 feet plus refrigerator's long plastic tube too much to run 1/4"-tubing instead of 3/8s" - if there isuch?

Comment

He's one busy DIY'er! LOL!!

Comment

Hook a hose up to a 3/4" hose bib, and you'll have all the ice you could ever want!

Next question!!

Comment

Re: Your advice is likely better than my plan.

When the package reads Evap Cooler, but not also Refrigerator, I wonder if it is approved for potable water? Something in the copper? Walls too thin?
                Also is the friction loss of 11 feet plus refrigerator's long plastic tube too much to run 1/4"-tubing instead of 3/8s" - if there isuch?
                This is not a rocket science and you are not regulating 60gpm at 60+psi to a fire hose. Nobody is going to notice 2 seconds one way or another to fill a glass of water. There is only 2 people on the face of the planet that are concerned about gpm and velocity ratings of an ice maker line...you and the one person who wrote the stat. Relax a little...ok?

Comment

This is not a rocket science and you are not regulating 60gpm at 60+psi to a fire hose. Nobody is going to notice 2 seconds one way or another to fill a glass of water. There is only 2 people on the face of the planet that are concerned about gpm and velocity ratings of an ice maker line...you and the one person who wrote the stat. Relax a little...ok?
                  Chinese perfectionist wife will complain, "Why water slow?"
                  I always wanto do the ideal. And better to do it righthan have longer fill for years because I used too small a tube for 11 feet. Most refrigerators I have seen have 1/2" to the valve right athe refrigerator.
                  Last edited by Robert Gift; 11-12-2011, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Chinese perfectionist wife will complain, "Why water slow?"
                    I always wanto do the ideal. And better to do it righthan have longer fill because I used too small a tube for 11 feet. Most refrigerators I have seen have 1/2" to the valve right athe refrigerator.
                    Welsh frig line instructor requires proof read and proper spacing to make Chinese wife happy...you now have double the challenge grasshopper.
                    Last edited by Jones Mechanicals; 11-12-2011, 08:29 PM. Reason: correct nationality

Comment

If your concerned about flow, pipe in 1/2" copper (or 3/8" soft) across under the floor, and up behind the refrigerator, and put in a second stop ( You could mount the stop up to were one could reach it by only pulling the refrigerator out a few inches or in a cabinet next to the refrigerator for stopping a leak if it would develop), and then go to either plastic or your copper to the refrigerator, (my guess is the plastic will not get kinked as easily when the refrigerator is moved out),

most likely the difference is just be marketing, when some one goes into the store and sees a package that is marked "evaporator water cooler", they just buy it where if they had a coil of 1/4 copper on the wall that needed to be cut they would not know what to do, and most likely in appliances they carry a package of plastic for ice makers, (the same marketing is confusing you it appears), (our old hardware store would have just asked you want plastic or copper line and taken you to the roll and asked how long, cut it and sold it to you with the proper fittings for what your said you needed), (the copper most likely will stand up to out door conditions better (UV light).
                      Last edited by BHD; 11-12-2011, 08:50 PM.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                        If your concerned about flow, pipe in 1/2" copper (or 3/8" soft) across under the floor, and up behind the refrigerator, and put in a second stop ( You could mount the stop up to were one could reach it by only pulling the refrigerator out a few inches or in a cabinet next to the refrigerator for stopping a leak if it would develop), and then go to either plastic or your copper to the refrigerator, (my guess is the plastic will not get kinked as easily when the refrigerator is moved out), ...
                        I'd rather have the stop under the kitchen sink. It can't freeze and is easier to turn off without pulling the refrigerator out. Also wife want refrigelator againsthexterior house wall, so no room for the valve.
                        Not concerned abouthe flow for the ice-maker but it may be slow for the cold water. 3/8s-inch be noticeably better?

Comment

I'd rather have the stop under the kitchen sink. It can't freeze and is easier to turn off without pulling the refrigerator out. Also wife want refrigelator againsthexterior house wall, so no room for the valve.
                          Not concerned abouthe flow for the ice-maker but it may be slow for the cold water. 3/8s-inch be noticeably better?
                          No! 3/4" be much better for application as this. If too big, use your 3/8 crimping tool and size it down, then put two 5/8 brass 3/4 stops on each side so flow is restricted to minimal size of the 1/4 pipe through where you h2o wil run. Then you can turn the the fridge on it's side to get all the ice out of the door. If that is not possible, maybe this job too difficult for you to handle.

Comment

Originally posted by nobackfall View Post
                            No! 3/4" be much better for application as this. If too big, use your 3/8 crimping tool and size it down, then put two 5/8 brass 3/4 stops on each side so flow is restricted to minimal size of the 1/4 pipe through where you h2o wil run. Then you can turn the the fridge on it's side to get all the ice out of the door. If that is not possible, maybe this job too difficult for you to handle.
                            I plan to remove the icemaker. No need to have two. But she cooks smelly foods in thenclosed porch, and will use water from that frigerator, so will want good flow.

Comment

I am not aware that there exists a special type of tubing for swamp coolers. It is k,l,m or ACR. Probalby labeled that way because it is sold in the swamp cooler store, and they can charge more for it that way!

Comment

Working...
                              X