X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moen shower, no water

OK, just moved in to this house (about 5 years old). Last week, my daughter's shower stopped working - one day it was fine, the next it simply had no water. Water to all other fixtures is fine.

She has a Moen shower-only unit, I believe it is a Moentrol valve (pull to start, rotate to adjust temp) with a second shower head diverter.

Wait, it gets better... No big deal losing that shower, so I'd thought I'd use the weekend to take it apart to fix it. But, yesterday, the shower in the master bath did the same exact trick - no water, worked fine the night before.

Too strange... My daughter was the one using BOTH showers the last time they worked. After she left them, they did not work. Is it possible that she somehow tweaked the controls in such a way that an automatic shutoff of some sort in the valves stopped the water flow? Any ideas before I start?

To top it off, today (now mega-repair day) is my birthday and we have a number of friends coming tonight, so having the water off for an extended period is not an option.

Re: Moen shower, no water

They may have locked up balancing spools. they just may need taking apart and cleaning. I do not know what model faucets you have,do you? can you snap a pic and post it of the trim plates and the rough valve in the wall? Goodluck to you and consider calling a plumber.

Comment

Moen 1423 Moentrol Single Handle Tub and Shower Balancing Spool#

Comment

When we moved in we added a water softening system, which (I'm told) may have loosened hard water deposits throughout the system. We have had some plugged aerators, etc so maybe the spools are full of crud. Looks like a fairly simple fix - I saw a YouTube video that shows how to remove, clean, and replace these so I am off to the store to get them. Think I'll replace the cartridges as well since I'll be in there.

Comment

The shower is a Rothbury model TS4211ORB. Is there a separate cartridge for the diverter? It also pulls in and out as well as turns.

Comment

Hope it is not the media from the softener going through the system??

Comment

Ta Da! Swapping out the cartridges in the diverter and the main valve, as well as cleaning the crud out of the spool did the trick. I'm not sure WHICH thing actually did the trick, but since everything was pretty well full of crud and hard water deposits I felt I had nothing to lose to do a full once-over on all moving parts (at least the ones Home Depot had in stock). Two showers fixed, under a hundred bucks (tools included), couple of hours...and I'd never done it before. Sweet.

Comment

Working...
              X