X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L grade copper and compressed air

A friend of mine just bought a new house and wants to run a dedicated compressed air line using regular, residential grade copper and sweat fittings in his garage (to fill tires, fire nails, etc).

Is this okay, or can the joints handle the pressure of the compressed air?

(L is regular, household copper pipe right?)

Re: L grade copper and compressed air

Yes No problem. When I lived on the East coast,winter time rough water tests were done with 125 Lbs. air pressure tests. Water would freeze
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
      A friend of mine just bought a new house and wants to run a dedicated compressed air line using regular, residential grade copper and sweat fittings in his garage (to fill tires, fire nails, etc).

Is this okay, or can the joints handle the pressure of the compressed air?

You're good for 722-psi at 100 degrees if soldered and 1243-psi if brazed. Of course you would be crazy to get anywhere close to those pressures.

Mark.
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

(L is regular, household copper pipe right?)[/QUOTE]

...i thought it was "M"

Comment

The entire air line loop system in our shop (and it's a big one) is soldered copper. We run it at a constant 150 psi. Never had an issue.

The only drawback I've noticed is that we seem to have more of a condensation (water in the air lines) issue than previous shops that used CPVC for the air supply lines.

Or I may just be imagining things.
          "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by halfpint View Post
            ...i thought it was "M" [/QUOTE]

Me too...but different areas, different rules. Besides L is far better.

Comment

M is a way for plumbers that bid on a job to make extra $$$

Comment

I've got 200' of 1" type L run in my garage at home,seems like a lot but I ran an area where it turns back and forth about 10 times with drains at the low points,works like a radiator it pulls the moisture out before it gets to my oil/moisture separater and drains at all of the drop points.It's been there for 15 years now.
                Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

You are OK, but I don't think UTAH is correct on the numbers. Brazed fittings change the temper of the tube, and the rating becomes the rating of annealed, not hard copper. Lower than that 700+ PSI number. Soft solder lowers the rating further. You are still ok with 95/5, but if you use 50/50 the rating becomes marginal at best for an air system.

Comment

Why not run one pull of soft copper, flare it and be done?

Only 2 exposed normal leak points...Your connections.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                      You are OK, but I don't think UTAH is correct on the numbers. Brazed fittings change the temper of the tube, and the rating becomes the rating of annealed, not hard copper. Lower than that 700+ PSI number. Soft solder lowers the rating further. You are still ok with 95/5, but if you use 50/50 the rating becomes marginal at best for an air system.
                      The numbers are straight out of the current CDA Copper Handbook.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                        CHECK OUT THE SOFT COPPER USED ON COMPRESSORS THEMSELVES ! He will have no problem.
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I must be the only idiot using 3/4 PEX. I don't leave it under pressure all the time, and it hasn't blown up yet.

Comment

Working...
                          X