X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not enough hot water

I have 2, two kohler water tile body sprays and 1 kohler shower head running off one pressure balancing valve (7.5gmp), and 1 rain shower running off one pressure balancing valve (10 gpm) in my master shower. So when they are all on they are pushing 25gpm off of a 50 gallon electric water heater. This set up is currently giving me 3 and a half minutes of hot water, if that.

What do I need to change or install in order to have more than 3 minutes of hot water? Please help I don't know what to do and this remodeling of the bathroom is keeping me from moving in to my new house!

Re: Not enough hot water

No pun intended, A big asss water heater! If your stuck with electric I hope your rich. Your going to need at least a 400 amp service to power the electric water heaters needed to meet 25 gpm, with an average temp rise of 40 dg. If you can go natural gas or propane you can get away with a couple of tankless heaters, but your going to need high BTU units which are not cheap.
    Last edited by Watersurgeon; 11-20-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

On gas tankless water heaters you would be hard pushed with 3 units at 200k btu each. It will do it depending on the temp rise but all 3 will be at nearly full fire to produce 25gpm.

Comment

Originally posted by Jones Mechanicals View Post
        On gas tankless water heaters you would be hard pushed with 3 units at 200k btu each. It will do it depending on the temp rise but all 3 will be at nearly full fire to produce 25gpm.
        Noritz has some nice commercial units that push 360,000 each.

Comment

Originally posted by Chino194 View Post
          I have 2, two kohler water tile body sprays and 1 kohler shower head running off one pressure balancing valve (7.5gmp), and 1 rain shower running off one pressure balancing valve (10 gpm) in my master shower. So when they are all on they are pushing 25gpm off of a 50 gallon electric water heater. This set up is currently giving me 3 and a half minutes of hot water, if that.

What do I need to change or install in order to have more than 3 minutes of hot water? Please help I don't know what to do and this remodeling of the bathroom is keeping me from moving in to my new house!
          Just noticed you are in FL. That means unless you are one of the lucky few, your gas would be propane. 600k btu = 6 gallons of propane per hour of solid burning time. Depending on your cost per gallon...say $3/gal you are looking at a 15min shower costing about $5.

Comment

Hope You have 3 volume controls ! Do You ! I doubt Your water service delivers 25 gal a minute ! What size is Your service ?
            Last edited by toolaholic; 11-20-2011, 02:17 PM. Reason: More Coffee
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Hope You have 3 volume controls ! Do You ! I doubt Your water service delivers 25 gal a minute ! What size is Your service ?
              If a 50 gallon water heater is exhausted in 3.5 min and assuming 45 gallons of usable hot water/tank...I'm getting about 13 gpm.

It seems there is some confussion about the math. These numbers are relevent to the gallons going through the water heater and if tempering is being adjusted as a 3min shower occurs, then the flow rate of the water heater is a curve and not a straight line.
              Last edited by Jones Mechanicals; 11-20-2011, 06:12 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Just a thought! If it's an older W.H. He could have a deteriorated dip tube !
                O.P. Take off all your faucet screened aerators and see if You find white gritty particles!
                I bet some of the bad batch are still around !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

How many nekid wimmens are you trying to get clean at one time?? If you have that kind of game, certainly you can find a female salesperson willing to hook you up on some new equipment. If this is the case, I am jealous!
                  We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

put in smaller GPM shower heads, I really doubt if you need 15 to 25 gallons a min. to get clean, that would be you best bet,

A regular garden hose will run about 10 gallon a min. without restriction, at about 30 psi, and that would be like having two to three garden hoses going at once. that is a lot of water for a shower,

figure it out you're going through about 5, 5 gallon buckets in a min. your hot water heater only has 10 buckets of water in it, the electric will not hardly heat up any extra in that short of time so you basically only have the tank full, and the only reason you're getting 3.5 min worth of shower is because you adding about 1/3 cold water to temper the water to a comfortable temperature,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

This is a South Florida thing. Without answers to some questions there is no answer.

There is everything from the track homes, to the super rich that will tip $150 cash for enough propane to run the hot tub another 45 min with his girlfriend + the fuel, trip, and tech fee! Yes it happened and I was that happy tech.

A 25gpm shower seems to be more than a track home IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                      X