X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas line to pool heater - short run

I have run gas line before - so I have no problem with doing and testing my work, but I have a situation i have not faced and I am looking for recommendations. I just had my meter base upsized to handle the additional BTU, I have a 1-1/4" tee and valve at the meter to off my new line to the heater.

The heaters is about 15" from the meter (diagonally) - or about 10' off the meter (parallel to the bar) and then turn 90 degrees (along fence) for 8' and I am at the back of the heater. I would turn 90 degrees again to be on the side of the heater and then 90 degrees to go into the valve.

For this length run, would the correct way be to bury a pipe and come up at the heater slab - or just run the 1-1/4" along the house? If I ran the black pipe outside, how would i support it along the fence (ornamental iron)?

Thanks for any suggestions. I know if i go the underground route, i need a pro.

One more thing, if i were to go underground, i would be crossing the 400A electric service coming into the house.
    Last edited by alphadog; 11-19-2011, 08:58 AM.

Re: gas line to pool heater - short run

Can you not get a hold of some underground poly gas pipe? Depending on your code it would run at 12" or 18". Would that be above your electrical service?

If you are going to keep it above ground, then you may need to get some round steel and built/bend your own hangers to work off the fence.

What size is the pool heater?

Comment

Exactly , sounds like this is def. beyond your means . Call a plumber . I would probably run copper underground and stub up where the pool heater is .Of course sleeving it where you need to. 1 1/4" sounds rather large for a pool heater . You need to provide btu's and total length of run from the meter . Also here the gas co. will provide you with med. pressure if available. That way you can run a much smaller line to the appliance.Food for thought. Good luck
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I am using 1-1/4" because that is what the install manual called for. It is 400,000 BTU.

And it will cross my electric service into the house but that should be 24" down.

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog View Post
          I am using 1-1/4" because that is what the install manual called for. It is 400,000 BTU.

And it will cross my electric service into the house but that should be 24" down.
          Based with your numbers 1-1/4" is correct. If you can buy some poly and mechanical risers then you should be able to complete this project underground without special equipment.

Comment

Does the poly come in the same nominal size - 1-1/4? I assume I transition back to black pipe and can bush down to 3/4" and add the drip leg and shut off valve.

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog View Post
              Does the poly come in the same nominal size - 1-1/4? I assume I transition back to black pipe and can bush down to 3/4" and add the drip leg and shut off valve.
              Yes 1-1/4" poly gas pipe is IPS size. There are compression type gas risers.

You just need a supplier that will sell these items to you. Don't forget to get tracer wire and caution tape when you order.

Comment

Final questions - the trench and tracer wire is easy enough, but what about the transition from vertical to horizontal in the ground and out of the ground at the other end. Is the pipe flexible enough to make the bend from vertical to horizontal in a 18" deep trench, or does it require 90s at each end? Also, can the yellow pipe run the 18" vertical out of the ground and then 90 into my meter, or is there some prohibition against yellow pipe being exposed to light?

Comment

Originally posted by Jones Mechanicals View Post
                  Yes 1-1/4" poly gas pipe is IPS size. There are compression type gas risers.

You just need a supplier that will sell these items to you. Don't forget to get tracer wire and caution tape when you order.
                  I replied and my question did not show. Maybe i will try again.

Comment

What is best practice regarding caution tape?

Comment

One final question. Do I need 90s to transition from the underground horizontal to the vertical riser or is pipe flexible enough to bend into a sweep? Can the poly be stubbed up 12" above grade and then transitioned to iron or is there a prohibition around exposing the PE to light?

Comment

No offense Alphadog, but from your questions I assume you haven't had any training in installing underground gas pipe. Is it common practice for the untrained to be allowed to do such work in Ohio?

Comment

@plumbus, I don't know what is common practice in Ohio. But I do know I can cut poly pipe, chamfer, install compression fittings and test for leaks. I can install tracer wire and follow manufacturer's instructions and code.

I have been doing all forms of construction for almost 30 years and I prefer to do my own work when it is my house.

My electrical and plumbing is to code and I have never failed an inspection.

I respect a career in any trade, but there is nothing that can't be learned without research and study. There are plenty of licensed plumbers that have not run underground gas pipe - nothing is stopping them from doing my install without training. I have never had anyone tell me they can't do something because they need training.

Comment

I recently had the exact same problem. I ran a 3/4" gas line about 60' underground to a 350btu pool heater.I read out interesting and informative ideas.This will be helpful for me.Thanks everyone...

Wide Range of Oval Pools | Above Ground Pools
                            Last edited by davidryan8100; 11-08-2013, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by davidryan8100 View Post
                              i recently had the exact same problem. I ran a 3/4" gas line about 60' underground to a 350btu pool heater.i read out interesting and informative ideas.this will be helpful for me.thanks everyone...
                              boom !#&#& !!
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X