X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre soldered copper fittings

What do the pros think of these fittings? Are they a good option, or just another gimmick?

Re: pre soldered copper fittings

Never used them, but I like running copper and soldering. I like cleaning, fluxing, and pushing solder, so I wouldn't want to use those type fittings.
    Others may.

Comment

Never used them. Why pay extra for something I'm going to clean, flux, and add solder to anyway.

Comment

Seems like a complete waste of money.

Comment

seems like a lazy way to get a leak later by not get enough solder in a joint to me...
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

they were made for the handy homeowner
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Yeah , ranks right up there with swiftt 95/5 paste solder. I still have a tub on the shelf.Was scared to even try it.
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Paste Solder?? musta not really took off...

Comment

before propress, when i had a line i couldn't get all the water to stop, i would pre tin the copper tube. then slide a regular copper fitting onto it. this was a way to make sure you had a layer of solder there. these pre solder fittings look almost like a propress fitting. but instead of an o-ring grove, the have a solder ring grove.

for those of you that don't have propress and run into a real challenge with water in the line. pre tinning the copper and then installing one of these pre soldered fittings could be the trick between a leak and a lifesaver.

but remember we are all suppose to be using water soluble flux. but based on a poll i did and reading all the post over the years, i would say that 90% of you don't. so until you comply with the code, you have no idea what it takes to solder a wet line with water soluble flux.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

What's solder?

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
                      What do the pros think of these fittings? Are they a good option, or just another gimmick?
                      I remember seeing them in a dusty box at a supply house in the 70s and chuckled a little bit. I still chuckle a little every time I think of that box. Thanks for the memories.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

WE have them here,one isle over from pre caulked base board .
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          but remember we are all suppose to be using water soluble flux. but based on a poll i did and reading all the post over the years, i would say that 90% of you don't. so until you comply with the code, you have no idea what it takes to solder a wet line with water soluble flux.

rick.
                          [EDIT] I found the pictures!! One of my clients is a Licensed B contractor, an attorney, a licensed real estate agent, a pilot, etc etc, overall a pretty smart dude. We were doing some trenching in his front yard, i cautioned him to stop at point X before his water main. His response was that he was going to run the machine till the chain touched his old service, that would stop the machine, and that is where he was going to stop. I tried to dissuade him by saying I would be more than happy to daylight the pipe for free instead of risking hittnig the line.

Well, the old metal pipe did stop the chain, but doing so it made the machine LURCH forward, rip the pipe out of the ground partially, and SMASH his copper main service line. I am sitting there trying to show any expression of "See, I told ya so ya dumb Truck" minus the tr part of UCK adding the letter after D. The next four hours were spent by us dicking around with trying to repair the pipe. The main service would not shut off completely, he sends me to the store for a valve, then he refuses to let me go fetch the compressor to blow the water out of the service to the house. IT seemed like we used half a loaf of wheat bread to stop the water from the house. I think we tried 8 times to make that final connection. For some reason, beats me why (NOT!) the last coupler soldered would always leak... I got paid an extra 4 hours of dicking around because he would not listen to his lackey(me). I made the comment that just because somebody has a license that this does not necessarily mean he knows what he is doing... I went and got the compressor, blew the line out, took the torch from him, soldered up coupler #8, cooled it off, energized the pipe, no leaks... He was blaming the cheap Home Depot flux, the Mapp gas torch not putting out enough heat (he had me get my torch out and heat the other side of the fitting, I was like REALLY??)

The final insult to the injury was the bread got shot back to the apartment in teh back yard to the only thing that was open, the washing machine. Of course it was in a super tight closet where to this day I am still baffled how they got that equipment in there. I had to climb back there to clear the filters...

picture of the repair that still leaked.... Shrug. I went to the store once he got fed up and I fixed it, cut all this crap out and re did it...

The washing machine fix. Cleaning the filters at the washing machine supply hoses

Peekaboo, I see you!

I need to lay off the beers!

I hope this guy did not mind having to catch my sweaty smelly arse. No, this was not the owner catching me

Free at last.!

3 months later after the rainy season wondering why the lawn continuously has water coming out of the drain.

Not quite sure now what this had to do with pre soldered fittings but I did the typing here it is.
                          Last edited by masterbeavis; 11-23-2011, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            WE have them here,one isle over from pre caulked base board .
                            hahaha!

Comment

Working...
                            X