Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here is how us Idiot General Contractors make more work for ourselves.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is how us Idiot General Contractors make more work for ourselves.

I found the pictures!! One of my clients is a Licensed B contractor, an attorney, a licensed real estate agent, a pilot, etc etc, overall a pretty smart dude. I've been putting off getting my license now for about forever, finally bit the bullet, am getting my # issued in a couple of weeks. We were doing some trenching at his personal home in the yards. I cautioned him to stop at point X before his water main. His response was that he was going to run the machine till the chain touched his old service, that would stop the machine just like last time, and that is where he was going to stop. I tried to dissuade him by saying I would be more than happy to daylight the pipe for free instead of risking hitting the line.

Well, the old metal pipe did stop the chain as predicted, but doing so it made the machine LURCH forward, rip the pipe out of the ground partially, and SMASH his copper main service line.

I am sitting there trying to show any expression of "See, I told ya so ya dumb Truck" minus the tr part of UCK adding the letter after D. The next four hours were spent by us dicking around with trying to repair the pipe. The main service would not shut off completely, he sends me to the store for a valve, then he refuses to let me go fetch the compressor to blow the water out of the service to the house. IT seemed like we used half a loaf of wheat bread to stop the water from the house. I think we tried 8 times to make that final connection. For some reason, beats me why (NOT!) the last coupler soldered would always leak... I got paid an extra 4 hours of dicking around because he would not listen to his lackey(me).

I made the comment that just because somebody has a license that this does not necessarily mean he knows what he is doing... I went and got the compressor, blew the line out, took the torch from him, soldered up coupler #8, cooled it off, energized the pipe, no leaks... He was blaming the cheap Home Depot flux, the Mapp gas torch not putting out enough heat (he had me get my torch out and heat the other side of the fitting, I was like REALLY??)

The final insult to the injury was the bread got shot back to the apartment in the back yard to the only valve that was open, the washing machine. Of course it was in a super tight closet where to this day I am still baffled how they got that equipment in there. I had to climb back there to clear the filters...

picture of the repair that still leaked.... Shrug. I went to the store once he got fed up and I fixed it, cut all this crap out and re did it...

The washing machine fix. Cleaning the filters at the washing machine supply hoses

Peekaboo, I see you!

I need to lay off the beers!

I hope this guy did not mind having to catch my sweaty smelly arse. No, this was not the owner catching me

Free at last.!

3 months later after the rainy season wondering why the lawn continuously has water coming out of the drain.

I have my flame suit on, I deserve it for this little folly.
    Last edited by masterbeavis; 11-23-2011, 03:09 AM.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Re: Here is how us Idiot General Contractors make more work for ourselves.

I love it ,especially the pictures, YOU HANDSOME DUDES.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

anytime you need to rip out sprinkler piping, gas, conduit, water or small roots, just run a ditch witch over it

stops at big roots, but everything else is free game.

nice story and photo log

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

The definition of what happened is called being a HUMAN BEAN. Don't beat Your self up.
        I do a lot of T+M Projects. I say "It's where My incompetence, pays handsomely"
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

California allows solder joints underground?

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            Yes , silver soldered only

Comment

I never even thought twice about what we did, we used... what did we use? I don't remember now, but I know it wasn't silver solder. I do not think the owner was interested in ripping out his service all the way to the main shutoff. Aside from a solder joint, how else is somebody supposed to repair a damaged underground line???

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              The definition of what happened is called being a HUMAN BEAN. Don't beat Your self up.
              I do a lot of T+M Projects. I say "It's where My incompetence, pays handsomely"
              How do you cook a Human bean? If we get some friends together can we call it a Human Bean soup? I like your saying, I will have to remember it.

Comment

IPC allows solder underground and brazed underslab. note, ca is UPC.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Beavis, I've had to hookup stackable washer dryers in tight spots like that, although my job thankfully had more room over the top or I never would have fit. Even if we don't don't like it when it's happening, we all have days like yours so we can all laugh about them and share stories later. There will come a day when you'll laugh. Thanks for sharing!
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    IPC allows solder underground and brazed underslab. note, ca is UPC.
                    I'm I.P.C. and solder joints underground are illegal here.

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                      Aside from a solder joint, how else is somebody supposed to repair a damaged underground line???
                      Brass underground flare fittings would of gotten you out of this mess.
                      Last edited by Flux; 11-25-2011, 06:44 PM.

Comment

I like your story and the pictures. We all have days like that. Number one I would have never fit over the top of the stackable, not in a million years! LOL
                        Number two, I would have had that line fixed in less than five minutes using Propress. Yes it's approved for underground.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                          Beavis, I've had to hookup stackable washer dryers in tight spots like that, although my job thankfully had more room over the top or I never would have fit. Even if we don't don't like it when it's happening, we all have days like yours so we can all laugh about them and share stories later. There will come a day when you'll laugh. Thanks for sharing!
                          This happened like 2 years ago, I am laughing now, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                          X