Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would a plumber use in thier own house?

If you were building a new home to live in forever (not sell), what type of supply pipe would you use? I would start a poll, but I would probably miss a few choices in the response section.

I asked one plumber I took an evening class from, and he was very "pro-copper", though he showed us a variety of alternatives. As a homeowner, I have had both PEX (crimp ring style) and copper. Havn't really had any issues with either, but I also didn't install the systems. His argument was that copper is very well proven, and has withstood the test of time.

What's your opinion?

Re: What would a plumber use in thier own house?

TYpe L copper for in the home, type K copper for underground. I also would plumb my DWV system in copper (type L the DWV Copper is junk) and Cast Iron (lead and oakem joints)
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

It really depends on the environment it is to be installed in. Assuming all conditions are right copper would be first.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

When I build my next house, I'll use as much Wirsbo as I can and include their fire protection system in the design.

Comment

Type K for the water service .xh cast iron for the ground works. no hub for the waste and vent with L copper for the wet loops . cast iron tubs and whirpools ...Or plastic everything..2lb system for the gas with wardlex gastite or blk steel dep. if anybody was borrowing the power vise at the time
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            TYpe L copper for in the home, type K copper for underground. I also would plumb my DWV system in copper (type L the DWV Copper is junk) and Cast Iron (lead and oakem joints)

Man your hardcore.....I like it!!!!
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Can we beat a dead horse any harder?

How many pex vs. the world threads do we really need?

Comment

...no votes for galvanized through-out?

Comment

Originally posted by halfpint View Post
                  ...no votes for galvanized through-out?
                  I will be the first to admit I am not that good of a plumber to acuratly cut and thread galcanized through out a home.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    I will be the first to admit I am not that good of a plumber to acuratly cut and thread galcanized through out a home.

Ron, why on earth would you want to install steel when you could cut and thread sch 40 brass pipe.

You would use copper on your waste? Whoa momma. Imagine having to pay for 3" and 4" type L copper in full lengths?

The only house I built for myself was in 1988 or so. I used no hub on the waste, PVC on the vents, and type L copper for all the water.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Run a copper home run manifold system for water, cast iron no hub above slab, pvc below slab and cleanouts everywhere.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I don't like relying on rubber components when they are buried in the wall. If I were to run CI for waste and vent, it would be service weight with lead and oakum joints.

I think that Ron was implying that the 1.5" and 2" lines would be copper and the 4" would be CI.

For water I would use type L copper unless the water was really aggressive. Then I would probably use pex (the viega stainless coated stuff).

For waste I would use Service Weight CI with lead and oakum joints for all the soil stacks and underground (XH if I could get it easy enough) not only for the quality but also to keep noise down....but I would probably use PVC for the vents as well as sink and tub/shower drains.

Comment

Public water - Either Copper or Pex for water

Well - Pex would be my first choice, followed by copper and a water softenfer/acid neutralizer(if need be) and whole house filter

Drain lines - PVC schedule 40 throughout the house and to the main. I would take the smooth walls over the porous walls everyday of the week and twice on sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            It really depends on the environment it is to be installed in. Assuming all conditions are right copper would be first.

Mark
                            Hey he's right, most die hard plumbing vet are all going to say good old fashion copper. Its what they know and its proven to withstand time. All the new stuff hasn't proven itself yet, and most gimmick before it have all been disproven ala' Polybutlene pipe. So definetly I would build home with copper all the way with a water softner/filter at the main valve of course. But hands down L copper the way to go.
                            Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
                            crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Comment

I used Pex with copper stub outs for the angle stops.

Comment

Working...
                              X