Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The nicest way to run copper to an Ice Maker?

I would like to run a copper line from my water filter (under sink) to the refrigerator accost the hall. I'm using polyethylene tube at the moment and would like to change to copper tube. How would I connect a 1/4 turn valve at the refrigerator? I'm thinking of having a stubout then using a brasscraft 1/4 but that would require wall patching and might bang into fridge. The Oatey ice maker outlet seams like a good alternative but I'm not shire what model could be used with copper tubing and old work.

Is there a standardised location they should be? I've read sub zero has a specific location requirement. What is it?

Amazon.com: Oatey 38607 IceMaker Outlet Box: Explore similar items

Re: The nicest way to run copper to an Ice Maker?

On a Subzero, the line needs to be less than 3" from the floor and 6" to 24" from the right on the back wall. A Subzero does not need an ice maker box.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

You're better off checking subzero's website as "integrated" and "built in" subzero's have different location requirements.
      But like Utah said above...no need for for an icemaker box.
      Last edited by Flux; 11-26-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Stick to poly-tubing. Easy to work with. Cheaper, etc... If you plan on using an Reverse Osmosis unit now or in the future to supply water to the ice maker your going to have to run it in poly. I have run John-Guest poly tubing now for over twenty-four years and have never experienced a leak.

Comment

Those measurements are good for 30" through 72" Subzeros.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

We usually run the ice maker from a stop under the sink. Convenient for a filter, which you can also use for a sink top dispenser or insta hot. You don't need a valve behind the refer when you have a remote (and more convenient) one under the sink. 9 times out of ten we run the 1/4" copper line below the floor. Because of this we don't use poly tubing. Too easy for critters to pierce with their teeth. On subzero the line should penetrate the floor below the refer on the side of the connection (usually the left side when facing the front of the refer). If the line penetrates too far to the center it will be difficult to connect because of the condensate pan in the middle of the bottom of the unit. As mentioned above, RO lines should be run in plastic because RO is an aggressive solvent (due to it's purity) that will attack the walls of copper tube.
            Last edited by Plumbus; 11-26-2011, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone I think I will leave it as is. I just thought it could be installed a little more professionally but as it turns out it is.

Comment

Working...
              X