X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draining a laundry sink in a basement

I would like to install a laundry sink in my basement next to my washer and dryer. Question is, how do I do the drain? I have a standpipe for the washer which is 32" above the floor. The bottom of the trap for the standpipe is approx. 6" above the floor. Can I tie into the standpipe without having to run a vent line? Or, could I turn the standpipe into a regular drain and hang the washer drain in the sink? Attached are photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	e43a9ebe503c6e63349b73ab0e1dc655.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	15754Click image for larger version

Name:	62eb5c26992834060608d628e9fa39c0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	15755Click image for larger version

Name:	c4e61d0fcd0a2ed45bfd84a8f061a48f.jpg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	15756Click image for larger version

Name:	3eba4f92f41e00c039d35e6c0ef1f072.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	15757Click image for larger version

Name:	ad2c351883e2f9a89357259c18ea88bd.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	15758

Re: Draining a laundry sink in a basement

Wow they do things different in MI than they do here. Maybe you could cut that s trap out behind your washer and stack two sanitary tees and then ren a pipe up close to the ceiling and put in a auto vent because I dont see any other way to vent it or not sure if its vented now. Thats all I can tell from your pics hope it help at all.

Comment

Is that "S" trap allowed?
      Could you cut outhatrap and use the drain for two 45-degree T's and continue the pipe straight up and connect it into an exisiting vent?
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

I get a kick out questions like this, especially when you throw in some pictures. Us plumbers will spend hours analyzing and questioning everything in the pictures without coming up with a simple solution.

Here is your simple solution.

http://www.amazon.com/Sta-Rite-Indus.../dp/B0026SWQ6U

Comment

Cut out the "S" trap. Use a santee to pick up the sink. Drain the wash machine into the sink instead of having it's own drain. Run your vent up from the santee and tie into a vent if you can. If not then vent using and inline vent.

Comment

Don't know if the S trap is allowed. I'm not a plumber so I don't know. House is over 20 years old and apparently it passed inspections. One of the pictures I posted (image 5985) is of the vent going up to the roof (at least, I think it's the vent). Perhaps I could tap into that? Since the stand pipe is open at the top, wouldn't that serve as the vent because doesn't the vent going through the roof allow everything to drain correctly? Watersurgeon, would the item you linked in your post need to be vented?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Verburg View Post
              Watersurgeon, would the item you linked in your post need to be vented?
              Yes, they need to be vented. You can tie the vent into your existing vent, or if local code will allow you can use an automatic vent cap. This can be screwed right into the vent hole on the unit.

VAP Automatic Plumbing Vent | Cash Acme

Comment

I wouldn't use the sink pump (just my opinion), just another future problem and costly. Laundry sink and a few pvc fittings and pipe less than a hundred bucks and you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                  Yes, they need to be vented. You can tie the vent into your existing vent, or if local code will allow you can use an automatic vent cap. This can be screwed right into the vent hole on the unit.

VAP Automatic Plumbing Vent | Cash Acme
                  You cant put the auto vent into the top of the pump chamber. It closes under positve pressure.
                  26+6=1

Comment

Where is this stack in relation to the washer standpipe?
                    Attached Files

Comment

The washer standpipe is to the right of the pipe in this picture.

Comment

Originally posted by hammerlane View Post
                        Where is this stack in relation to the washer standpipe?
                        The washer standpipe is to the right of the pipe in this picture, approx. 4 feet away.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                          I wouldn't use the sink pump (just my opinion), just another future problem and costly. Laundry sink and a few pvc fittings and pipe less than a hundred bucks and you're good to go.
                          gotta agree with ranger. The pump itself would cost you as much as the whole job. The guys mentioned it earlier.Just dump the the washing machine hose in the new sink. Then make the existing standpipe your new sink rough in. Just add an in-line/auto vent. to the top and tee for your waste stub out. All this for less than 50 bucks. "Forget About it"
                          Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
                          crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Comment

Working...
                          X