Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Disassembling Oatey Washing Machine Valve Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Disassembling Oatey Washing Machine Valve

    Had an Oatey single handle washing machine valve that was about 14 years old. Developed a leak at the handle. See photos.

    I was able to take old valve off the taps but could not figure out how to remove valve stem from valve body to replace any bad o-rings or seals.

    ANyway I ended up putting on a new valve body and afterwards looking at old valve more closely was able to figure out how to remove stem to access o-rings. It was a rubiks cube. See photos in case you have similar problem.

    Here is a link to my original post about the leaking valve if interested.

    https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t39502-3/
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Re: Disassembling Oatey Washing Machine Valve

    More photos:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hammerlane; 12-01-2011, 09:54 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Disassembling Oatey Washing Machine Valve

      excellent threads and pictorial.

      did you try testing the finished valve repair for leaks?

      most people never shut off the valve, thus the o-rings don't wear.

      good job.

      rick.
      phoebe it is

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Disassembling Oatey Washing Machine Valve

        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        excellent threads and pictorial.

        did you try testing the finished valve repair for leaks?

        most people never shut off the valve, thus the o-rings don't wear.

        .
        I did not start shutting off the valve until about 3 months ago and then it developed leaks at the handle.

        I do not want to take the new valve body off and replace the old repaired one to test for leaks so I'm going to get a 1/2 FIP x 3/4 male hose thread adaptor, install that on the threaded portion of the taps and pressurize it with a hose.
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Disassembling Oatey Washing Machine Valve

          Originally posted by hammerlane View Post
          I did not start shutting off the valve until about 3 months ago and then it developed leaks at the handle.

          I do not want to take the new valve body off and replace the old repaired one to test for leaks so I'm going to get a 1/2 FIP x 3/4 male hose thread adaptor, install that on the threaded portion of the taps and pressurize it with a hose.
          All be interested to know how that worked out?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Disassembling Oatey Washing Machine Valve

            Hammerlane,

            Thanks for the two forum posts. Although I don't really get involved with these valves I have seen them leaking in the past.

            The picture break down was a great plus and thanks for that. I have a simple philosophy in life. If I can go every day with learning something new, my life becomes a little simpler with each passing day.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Disassembling Oatey Washing Machine Valve

              Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
              Hammerlane,

              Thanks for the two forum posts. Although I don't really get involved with these valves I have seen them leaking in the past.
              The picture break down was a great plus and thanks for that. I have a simple philosophy in life.
              I figured others have a problem with leaks at the handle and without photos it would be a pain in the arse to explain.

              But just a note.
              On most of the newer single lever shutoffs, the female hose threads are cast into the valve body so the threaded portion does not unscrew(red portion in photo) but as you can see (circled in blue) there is a 3/8 hex head insert that you would remove to access the ball valve and seats.
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Disassembling Oatey Washing Machine Valve

                Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                All be interested to know how that worked out?

                Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                All be interested to know how that worked out?
                Finally got around to pressure testing the old valve that I replaced the o-rings on and there were no leaks at the stem.

                I had one 1/2 FIP x 3/4 hose adaptor I attached to each end of the taps to supply water. Then used an old piece of tubing I use with hose adaptors already on it hooked up to a spigot to supply the water. I left each side pressurized for about 10 minutes.

                No leaks at the stem.
                Attached Files

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Disassembling Oatey Washing Machine Valve

                  I just ran into the same issue with the leaky handle. I replaced the whole valve but would like to take the old valve apart. I have gotten to the point of needing to remove the white plastic discs before I can remove the ball valves. They do not seem to pop out easily and did not know if there were any tricks to it.

                  BTW, thanks for all the pictures. They helped a lot.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Disassembling Oatey Washing Machine Valve

                    No trick. They are kind of form-fitted around the ball.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Disassembling Oatey Washing Machine Valve

                      So I will take a pointed or sharp object and try to pry them out. I will try it tonight. Thanks

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Disassembling Oatey Washing Machine Valve

                        Thats what I did. Have to be careful not to damage the seat if you are going to fix the o-rings and reuse the valve.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X