Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New install Diskwasher? Best electrical layout swiched or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New install Diskwasher? Best electrical layout swiched or not?

I'm getting ready to install a new dishwasher. My question is the electrical where is the best location under sink high up in back just above drain line with GFI? I here some like to make it a switched circuit what do you think about that and where to locate switch?

The install manual for dishwasher shows you can hard wire it or use a outlet. I prefer an outlet for easy removal but manufacture doesn't say anything about a switch that leads me to believe its unnecessary?

I don't see ever installing a garbage disposal but I under stand this needs to be on a switch. If sow how is the dishwasher and garbage disposal electrical joined together if both needing a switch? I would like to keep this in mine when running the electrical.

From a 20-amp circuit breaker I'd run a dedicated #12 AWG wire

I would NOT use an outlet or waste a wall switch on a dishwasher.
    I'd save the switch for a light or garbage disposer. Disposers are worth having, not only for convenience and nodor of food waste sitting in trash, but also best to send organics to the sewage treatment plant to be digested into fertilizerather than becoming useless landfill.
    Does code not requireseparate circuits to dishwasher and garbage disposer?
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 12-04-2011, 05:48 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Re: From a 20-amp circuit breaker I'd run a dedicated #12 AWG wire

Some areas require a disconnect for a DW. This can be switch or an appliance cord on the DW plugged into a receptacle. I prefer the latter.

Comment

If you ever plan on having a 1 1/2 to 2 year old in your home consider the switch!!! this would have saved us a dishwasher!!! as when the dishwasher is closed tightly they can turn it on, and when it is open just enough to keep them from turning it on they can open it and climb on the door wrecking the seal and destroying the dishwasher.
        we now have a model that latches tightly with the buttons mounted out of site so we'll see how it goes
        a switch would've been the cheeper option by far

Comment

In all of my rentals as they were rehabbed, I installed a single outlet under the sink. If you look closely at an outlet, you will notice small links between the two plugs. I remove these and wire the bottom plug as always on and the top plug switched from a switch on the backsplash for a disposal. That way both appliances are able to be unplugged for service.

Comment

Working...
          X