Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DANGEROUS: Switch turns on gas valve to fireplace. No pilot to ensure ignition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DANGEROUS: Switch turns on gas valve to fireplace. No pilot to ensure ignition.

Originally posted by nobackfall View Post
    Are you asking the plumbing experts if you did the right thing? I just don't see why you threw this in here after a few years.
    You should have just yanked it out so it wouldn't work, if you were that worried about it blowing up the whole town.
    I am not allowed to touch anything like that.
    A licensed professional or the owner would have to make the corrections.

I documented that I explained to the occupant how it was dangerous and that it was likely a code violation. (I do not know the code.)

I remembered thisituation thinking abouthe valve I'd like to have to shut off gas to the stove when we leave the house in emergencies.
    Maybe others will also post dangerousituations they havencountered.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 12-05-2011, 01:53 PM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Re: DANGEROUS: Switch turns on gas valve to fireplace. No pilot to ensure ignition.

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
      Years ago I was called to clean a chimney of a woodburning fireplace which had a gas pipe inside to ignite the wood.

A little Radio-Shack-like mini toggle switch was connected to the end of a clear-jacketed speaker wire resting on the fireplace mantle.
      Ends of the multi-strand wire on the switch screw terminals were almostouching!

When the switch was flipped the gas came on. One had to light the gas.

They had a cat. I could see it stepping on the switch causing the wire strands to touch or flip the mini switch ON.

I told the homoeowner how dangerous it was.
      He appeared not to be concerned.
      When home I reported the hazard to the building department and gave them his address.
      You were the one there, and you know the situation. All you can do, or any of us for that matter, is let your conscience be your guide. Different people may handle the situation differently but that's not important. What really matters is that you did your level best to address a dangerous situation. You were a friend to the homeowner even if they could see it, or appreciate it.

Oh, and Tim Tebow and the Bronco's may have beaten the Vi-queens this last Sunday but that's because our secondary sucks more than any honeywagon ever built, not because Tebow can throw.
      Last edited by geno gardner; 12-05-2011, 08:21 PM.
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
        You were the one there, and you know the situation. All you can do, or any of us for that matter, is let your conscience be your guide. Different people may handle the situation differently but that's not important. What really matters is that you did your level best to address a dangerous situation. You were a friend to the homeowner even if they could see it, or appreciate it. Oh, and Tim Tebow and the Bronco's may have beaten the Vi-queens this last Sunday but that's because our secondary sucks more than any honeywagon ever built, not because Tebow can throw.
        IN TEBOW WE TRVST
        (Can't see the image.)
        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Working...
        X