Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How ca I fix a pin hole in PEX tubing?

I have a 4 year old home that has PEX plumbing through out. Recently a leak was discovered that caused me to removed part of the drywall ceiling. There was a leak coming from the middle of a short run of 3/4" pipe. Not at the fittings but in the middle. The water just comes out of the pipe. Maybe a drop every minute or so.

What is the best way to repair this? Replace the entire length of tubing or is there a glue and patch (and possibly a worm gear clamp) that can be used?

Thanks
    Last edited by marchboom; 12-07-2011, 09:04 PM.

Re: How ca I fix a pin hole in PEX tubing?

Pin hole leak in pex, is pretty rare. Did someone drill into the wall/ceiling and puncture the pex?

You need to find out what brand pex was used. Most pex manufactures warranty there pex for a considerable amount of time. Also I would contact the builder as this generally falls under construction defect.

As to fixing it, the only way I will fix pex is to cut out the effected area and two pex couplers.

Comment

A rat might of meen nibbling at it. One of the reasons we do not use pex around here. To many dang rats.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

How about giving a good pic of it?
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Barb coupling and crimp rings
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

No evidence of any rodent infestation and no nails or screws in the vicinity. At first I thought it might have been a drywall screw that went into the tubing when they installed the ceiling, but it wasn't. This section of tubing is vertical and the hole just happened. No reason for it...nothing is touching it.

Comment

cut it in half on the pin hole and use a shark bite coupling

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                cut it in half on the pin hole and use a shark bite coupling
                that's ultimately what i was thinking too.

but with only a 4 year old home with no evidence of rodents or external damage to the area, i would defiantly contact the builder/ plumber and also the manufacture of the pex in question.

is there a possibility that this tubing is being exposed to sun lite in the attic? uv lighting is a no no for pex.

a picture will also help.

i feel there is more to this than just a quick fix with a sharkbite coupling.

also if this is a tract home, speak to your neighbors to see if they have had issues too.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Wow" profesional plumbers" recommending shark bites. There are alot of ways to fix pex like old1 recommended barbed couplings and crimp ring and many other manufacturers methods but I mean shark bites really. Come on guys I wouldnt want that crap in my ceiling and damn sure would be pizzed if I hired a pro and got that.

Comment

Originally posted by Killing time View Post
                    Wow" profesional plumbers" recommending shark bites. There are a lot of ways to fix pex like old1 recommended barbed couplings and crimp ring and many other manufacturers methods but I mean shark bites really. Come on guys I wouldnt want that crap in my ceiling and damn sure would be pizzed if I hired a pro and got that.
                    remember the op is a homeowner looking to do a job without investing hundreds in specialty tools or hiring a plumber.

believe it or not, shark bites, jon guess fittings are sold at every professional supply house i've been to. and every profession industry trade show i've been to.

i guarantee you that you have installed a shark bite or jon guess fitting in your career. if you haven't, you've never done service or finish work. never installed an under counter water filter system.

there are sharkbite/ jon guess fittings installed in just about every undercounter water system and newer lead free faucets.

the real issue is not the repair, but the cause of the leak.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I understand what your saying about the homeowner being able to do the job themselves. But I would not recommend putting a shark bite in the ceiling. If they want to use one under the house or anywhere that is accesabile that is fine. Would I use one? NO but its not my house so whatever. Have I ever used one yes as caps till they fixed walls or whatever but they were only temporary would rather use a compression fitting with stiffner than a shark bite. And I only use that on poly because cannot get crimp fittings in these areas for the pipe. Also they sell copper bond you know the copper glue at almost every supply house and trade show doesnt make it legal or right.

Comment

I am not a professional plumber at all, just a dumb ol' sprinkler contractor!! The OP was asking how to fix it himself.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I would like to include a picture of the pex tubing but there is nothing to see. A drop of water just comes out of the side of the tubing in the middle of it's length. This was a custom home so no other homeowners to talk to. I think I'm just going to replace the length of tubing with the regular crimp rings. I can rent the crimp tool at Home Depot.

I'm not sure if this was just a fluk thing or if I'm in store for other leaks in other locations.

Comment

The leak could be anything. The installer could have pulled it across a sharp object, someone could have stepped on it, hit it, who knows but things happen. I wouldn't worry about it. Your fix you describe is the best solution. Cut it out and replace the section.

Comment

Maybe cut out the area with a pin hole, and contact the maker of the product. They might want it to see if its a defect or other problem.

BTW, I am not a plumber, but other than making it easy for home owner installs and cutting out a plumber, I don't see the problem with shark bites. They use an o-ring, like a pro-press fitting for sealing the connection, and I would bet that none of you could yank a sharkbite off a pipe without the tool. Now, obviously, my plumber doesn't use them, but, I don't see an issue with a home owner using one in this case.

Comment

Working...
                              X