Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gas line cost estimate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • gas line cost estimate

    OK, so I need to do the following (was going to do it myself, but parts are to hard to get)

    20' gas line from meter to pool heater.
    Meter base has been upgraded, gas company guy added tee and valve at meter (1-1/4").
    Gas line needs to be 1-1/4' (per heater documentation - 400k btu)
    PE tubing & risers
    Tracer line
    valve and drip leg at heater
    Heater valve is 3/4"
    Meter base and heater entry are both about 15" off the ground.

    Trench is dug - 20" deep (i did the ugly work)
    No inspection required
    I will back fill

    What should this cost. Assuming i need to pay for the 100' roll of tubing.
    Access is easy, nothing in the way, no bushes, no tight spots - everything is new.

    estimate ideas welcome.

  • #2
    Re: gas line cost estimate

    A local Plumber will be more than happy to tell You.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: gas line cost estimate

      with only a 20' long run, i would probably run wrapped steel pipe and call it a day.

      poly/ hdpe pipe is a great product. but it requires special fusion equipment and certification. great for minor ditch offsets and great for long runs. but by the time you fuse 2 poly transition risers and field wrap any wrench marks. i also wrap the already coated transition risers, you could have been done with the 1 stick of steel pipe. remember you still need to pipe it to the heater in steel too.

      a 21' stick of 1.25'' coated steel pipe is still cheaper than the 2 transition risers too.

      my pool has a 80' run with offsets and there poly pipe is the best product.

      your's is probably a steel pipe install.

      what does the rest of the forum think?

      rick.
      phoebe it is

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: gas line cost estimate

        with the ditch already open and only a 20 foot run..................couple cases of beer and some steaks on the barby might get it put in pretty quick if you know any of these type guys, just saying!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: gas line cost estimate

          Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          with only a 20' long run, i would probably run wrapped steel pipe and call it a day.

          poly/ hdpe pipe is a great product. but it requires special fusion equipment and certification. great for minor ditch offsets and great for long runs. but by the time you fuse 2 poly transition risers and field wrap any wrench marks. i also wrap the already coated transition risers, you could have been done with the 1 stick of steel pipe. remember you still need to pipe it to the heater in steel too.

          a 21' stick of 1.25'' coated steel pipe is still cheaper than the 2 transition risers too.

          my pool has a 80' run with offsets and there poly pipe is the best product.

          your's is probably a steel pipe install.

          what does the rest of the forum think?

          rick.
          Gee I wish I could afford a swimming pool Rick

          Tony

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: gas line cost estimate

            make it a case of root beer, some steaks and a rt ticket and i'll knock it off.

            how close are you to elyria?

            rick.
            phoebe it is

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: gas line cost estimate

              Originally posted by AFM View Post
              Gee I wish I could afford a swimming pool Rick

              Tony
              save your money.

              for the few times i used it a year, it comes out to several thousand a year in utility and maintenance cost. cheaper to go on vacation and use someone else's pool.

              rick.
              phoebe it is

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: gas line cost estimate

                I do have an estimate for a poly install but trying to see if it is in the ballpark. From what i see around here, there is no special equipment - they are stab fittings and the riser can come up next to heater and convert to iron - jut like at the meter. I want poly, so there are no worries later.

                the problem with calling for estimates is everyone will give me one, but no one will tell me if they have run poly before.

                Really hoping someone would offer a price. But then i guess it always depends on how expensive the house looks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: gas line cost estimate

                  $100.00 per foot. Includes poly pipe, stab fittings, permit, test, inspection, tracer wire, sand bedding and back-fill, equipment hook up after inspection, and start up. You haul off the spoils.

                  Note: I've only run a couple of miles of poly pipe.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: gas line cost estimate

                    Thanks AZ plumber... I have been in the construction trade for years, but never run a buried gas line - so i just needed some kind of baseline. We are the opposite of AZ, most houses don't have pools - so i want to make sure i am not getting the "he looks rich" quote.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: gas line cost estimate

                      How much were you quoted?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: gas line cost estimate

                        Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                        How much were you quoted?
                        I hope it was less than the $2000+ you quoted.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: gas line cost estimate

                          Originally posted by alphadog View Post
                          Thanks AZ plumber... I have been in the construction trade for years, but never run a buried gas line - so i just needed some kind of baseline. We are the opposite of AZ, most houses don't have pools - so i want to make sure i am not getting the "he looks rich" quote.
                          I think you just did!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: gas line cost estimate

                            Now I know why no one hardly ever quotes a price in this news group.
                            So Gusty. Riddle me this. You're in Mesa, I'm in Surprise.
                            Make the drive over to take a look at the job. City Hall to City Hall 47 miles each way
                            Pick up the permit, material, sand and do the install.
                            Meet the inspector, at his convenience.
                            Back fill the trench.

                            What's your time worth?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: gas line cost estimate

                              Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                              Now I know why no one hardly ever quotes a price in this news group.
                              Don't worry Arizona, I had some grenades thrown at me as well for similar posts in the past, so don't you think you're the only one. You have my respect for putting yourself out there like that.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X