X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bradford White power vent

I'm replacing a Bradford White water heater with a power vent with a similar new model. The old model uses 3" B vent to a heavy gauge metal exterior hood. The new unit has 2" PVC for the vent and provides a 2" PVC 45 to exit the house. I'd like to use the existing heavy gauge hood. The literature says its ok to adapt the 2" PVC to 3". Is it ok to use a Fernco to connect the 3" PVC to the sleeve on the existing metal hood?

Thank you,

Tony

Re: Bradford White power vent

A rubber fernco on pvc would be ok. The new Bradfords have a rubber sleeve coming out of the power vent already. But using one as a transition fitting onto your metal vent would not be a good idea, it won't be the correct size. The last thing you want is your water heater power venting carbon monoxide into your house because of a bad seal.
    I would use the 2" pvc from the water heater all the way out. You will sleep better knowing it's done right.

Comment

Refer to the installation manual. If it doesn't specifically say you can convert, I wouldn't. Water heater flues are plastic for one reason, condensation. A wet metal flue is a rusting metal flue.
      Contact your local B-W rep:
      Bradford White | Representative Locator

or fill out this info request and send it in:
      Bradford White Corporation | Contact
      Last edited by Plumbus; 12-11-2011, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Thank you. I appreciate the help.

Tony

Comment

Working...
        X