Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water hammer (machine gun) sometimes when dishwasher is run

Hi
    We have a water hammer problem which started about two months ago in a house which was built around 1982. It occurs only sometimes (maybe every 1 in 5 times) when our Kenmore (Elite mod 665.1764300) is run. It makes a chattering/machine gun hammering (maybe 4-8 hammers per second?) which continutes for quite a while, and it can be stopped by turning the hotwater gate valve right before the dishwasher down/off and then turning it back on. It may occur more than once in a single dishwasher cycle. Our dishwasher was worked on about two or three months ago but it was just a top rack roller replacement.

We had one plumber suggest he would replace the gate valve as sometimes that might go bad and it might fix this, or maybe the pressure reduction valve might also go bad and cause water pressure problems. The gate valve is sweated on (right term?). I saw a suggestion online that a bad dishwasher solenoid fill valve can cause this kind of hammering.

Options I am considering:
    Replace solenoid
    Add hammer arrester by dishwasher
    Replace gate valve

Is there some other Trouble shooting I can do before I do or pay for any of these options?

Thanks much for any help! Mark

Next day Update::: Somewhere I read that you can fix this by turning the cutoff valve down to lower the water flow, but it said that the dishses might not get as clean and is a temorary fix. And, could that damage the dishwasher, like if I turn it down too far?
    Last edited by Marunder300; 12-12-2011, 10:18 PM. Reason: Adding details

Re: Water hammer (machine gun) sometimes when dishwasher is run

Call the manufacturer of the dishwasher to find out if it is an issue with the machine. If not get a water hammer arrestor installed. Turning down the volume of water will not effect how clean the dishes get. The dish washer fills up with water then starts the washing cycle, it does not spray directly from the inlet to the dishes. Turning it down willl only slow down the fill cycle.
    Last edited by EasyEman; 12-15-2011, 09:50 AM. Reason: Capitalization.

Comment

I actually had this happen on a Whirlpool dishwasher in my previous home. The culprit was the fill valve (solenoid valve) gone bad.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
        I actually had this happen on a Whirlpool dishwasher in my previous home. The culprit was the fill valve (solenoid valve) gone bad.

the doctor is right again

if you had a globe valve shut off/ a valve that uses a washer, then that could have been the culprit. but a gate valve will not chatter/ hammer like you've mentioned especially on the low flow of a dishwasher.

you're solenoid valve is an electric magnet that allows water to pass through a diaphragm and small orifice. that's the culprit. pretty inexpensive part and simple replacement.

double check the little filter screen at the inlet to the valve and check for dirt that might be causing a loss of flow. otherwise replace the assembly for under $20.00 and you're problem is solved.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

All quick closing valves, including dishwasher solenoids, should have a shock arrestor installed at the supply valve. Can be installed before the valve by unsweating the valve, soldering in the arrestor on a tee, and resweating the supply. I would do that first. If it turns out to be something else, you need the arrestor anyway.

Comment

Have had the same issue with compression valves. I believe the washers / packing go bad in them. Alot of time I have just turned the valve a bit to eliminate the problem.Yeah I know the noise well..
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              the doctor is right again
              Hell yes, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Big Jim's suggestion of an arrestor in the DW supply line is also spot on... I've had the damn fast-closing solenoid cause the supply line to pop out of its compression fitting. All I can say about that is thank God our garage doesn't have a finished ceiling or the cleanup would have been an ordeal.
              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Some places have made this a code requirement for new const. That's why some valve boxes for dishwasher, ice maker, and washer supplies have built in arrestors.

Comment

Great, thanks much all! Much appreciated!! I am traveling to a nephew wedding and will be back in about a week to my house, will check the solenoid then, including the check on if stuff is stuck in the filter. I have done a bit of work on this dishwasher and the solenoid should be not to bad a job. I will see about also adding an arrester, I have not sweated any items in line bt think I can handle that, I wil look online for advice on how to do that. I think the main issue might be around having a release for heated water when sweating - any links or suggestions how to sweat on a arrester?
                  btw, right as we were leaving the house doing final wash the dishwasher stopped filling with any water - guess that solenoid finally bit the dust!
                  More later,
                  Mark
                  Ps - funny Harley joke . !

Comment

OK, all done! Thanks all! Checked the Solenoid with my voltmeter when I got back and it was shot.

Note that I ordered the wrong part by calling Sears Parts center while looking at parts on line. i learned that different sites may use the identical name for different parts!
                    Then I ordered it online at the Sears website while I could look at what I was getting. When that one arrived it was the RIGHT part making me and my wife happy. I had some difficulties as everything seemed to be welded together, and not easy to take apart - i had to cutoff the old farrell on the copper tubing and put a new one on to get rid of leaking. (Afterwards I read that sometimes some plumbers used silicone rubber plus a short curing prior to opening to fix leaking in faulty connections like that - would have been much easier than trip to store + hacksaw etc....).

Now, running quietly with no hammering! I did not put on a arrestor - I was thinking it was not needed given it did not hammer before this current problem AND it was really tight spaces where I would have had to add it - maybe will add in if that hammering problem comes back...
                    Thanks again all! Mark

Comment

Working...
                    X