X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of fittings and valves

I am a DIY homeowner, who has done a bit of plumbing and sewer work, and have a question on the quality of fittings and valves I am using for new (copper sweat and brass threaded) work.

I recently replaced the main cold water valves entering the house with 1" Nibco brass (threaded), and noticed after 4 hours' labor that the new valves sweat little drops of water from what appears to be a seam that is part of the (two-part?) valve. I will have to replace them.

I bought them from a reputable supply house, and have also bought box-store fittings in the past (Homewerks brand, etc). I don't want to waste time installing junk parts, what is a quality name valve and fitting?

Thanks,
    Bert

Re: Quality of fittings and valves

the seam is where the ball and seats were assembled and it sounds like you overheated the valve while soldering it in.

if you post a photo, we can confirm that.

you could also try using a threaded valve if there is room and pre-solder male adapters on the copper. let cool and then screw the made up adapters into the valve. then there is no heat on the valve body to destroy.

a very common problem especially with newer tub/ shower valves.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks, Rick, I will post photos.

However, in this case, the valves are threaded and I already did what you suggested (pre-soldered male adapters), so the valves were never directly heated. Perhaps the valves are missing assembly washers, I never opened them to look...

Or this is a quality issue with the part.

Since I will have to dismantle, I assume it is bad form to try to reuse sweat joints?

Comment

First thought that comes to mind is the possibility that you actually twisted open the two valves half's at the threads. Maybe when you were tightening down the MIP connectors to the valve FIP. I have actually seen this happen.

Since your going to have to pull the valve, you might as well sweat in a union so in the future if you or anyone else ever has to replace the valve they can do it without cutting the pipe. You can also put the valve in a vise and pull it apart and check the fitting.

Nibco, is the specified valve we require on all our projects unless of course we are using Viega ProPress.

Comment

Here is a pic, these are 1" valves, one is to be used for hard water, the other to a softner. The "pink" lines I drew point to where water is seeping from the valves (sorry, I couldn't draw arrows on the ends of the lines).

--Bert
          Attached Files

Comment

I use a lot of Nibco Valves if i was on a job and didn't have a extra one , i would take it apart and give it a few wraps of Teflon tape.
            In your case i would just take it back and get a new one, they are good valves you just got a leaker

Comment

I would have to agree witht the rest. I have been using Nibco valves since I started in the game. They have always been pretty good for me. Believe me over my time I have seen some of the darndest things and continue to this day. It looks like a manufacturer defect. I would definetly take it back and have a talk to the supplier to check the batch. It may be the whole batch or just the 2 you got. Hey it happens. If you believe that you did everything right and you pre fab the male adapters like I would do. Yes I believe its just a defect. Sorry
              Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
              crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Comment

Working...
              X