Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent line cuts through studs

Hey Everyone,

I am remodeling my master bath and was wondering if this setup is okay. The vent line for the shower drain cuts through 9 2x4 studs on an exterior wall. The holes are rather large and it seems like some of these studs are hanging by a thread. Would you have run them this way, and/or is it alright for me to move forward, leave this and sheetrock the walls.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Re: Vent line cuts through studs

I forgot the picture...
    Attached Files

Comment

Sometimes you have to drill through a bunch of studs. I try not to, if at all possible.
      I don't like the way they hacked the corner studs completely out though. It's about impossible to solder in a corner without doing that, I suppose.

Comment

Total hack.
        Plumber would be paying to replace that wall out here

Edit:
        I made a mistake calling him a current day plumber
        Last edited by drtyhands; 12-22-2011, 08:06 AM.

Comment

That looks like a back vent...that's the original line right? If someone put that in brand new, where did he get his copper from? How old is the house?

Because people don't like soffits and layout's can be screwy, I would have to assume the Plumber had no choice but to run the back vent that way. I see set-ups like this all the time out here in older homes.

This picture doesn't tell the entire story.

There are carpenters floating around this forum, they would have a better answer as to making sure that wall is safe, as additional supports can be installed if need be.
          Last edited by Flux; 12-22-2011, 08:53 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by a "back vent". I'm pretty sure it is the original line. I've had the property for 16 years and the house was built in the early 60's. I have no clue where whoever did it got the copper from.

This is the 2nd story of a split level home. The vertical portion of the vent cuts under a window. How should this be done? A vent up through the ceiling into the attic, out through the roof? Do you think this needs to be repaired or since it has lasted 50 years.. that I'm safe? It doesn't look like something I would ever think would be smart to do.. but it has obviously lasted.

Of course I want to leave it, but it kills me to look at it and think it could be done completely wrong.

Comment

You can leave it if you want. It been ok for 50 years. The max. hole size in a ext. 2 x 4 wall is 1-7/16" & atleast 5/8" of wood left on each side for a single stud & 2-1/8" for double studs & atleast 5/8" of wood left on each side. I tend to overkill things, so if it was me I would cut it out & re-route it. You can probably pay for the whole remodel with the money you will get from scraping out the copper I would put double 2x4's on the ceiling that way I could run the vent up the wall & 90 @ the top plate into towards the room then 90 up through the attic. I also would remove all the extra wood that is the wall (all the short 2x4's that are nailed together at the bootom of the wall). Then I would sister up some new 2x4's next the existing 2x4's. I would then remove the insulation & get a spray foam kit & spray foam the ext. wall, because the ext. wall is probably sheathed in cellotex.

Comment

Been a decade since I've physically read Uniform Building Code.

To my knowledge it reads..
                no more than 40% removed from a bearing wall.
                no more than 60% from a non bearing wall.
                no more than 5/8" hole in a shear wall(recently conveyed to me by a framer)
                an exterior wall is no doubt bearing.

Never ever...Evvverrrrrr,
                drill through a king stud with waste line sized hole.
                No stud shoe acceptable.

Comment

Hosh, You can change it if you like, but I wouldn't. New lumber is going to shrink and not match the old so you might have more problems than if you left it. I would suggest that if you can give up the space, cover the wall with 1/2 inch plywood, glued(Pl400 or something similar) and screwed to the existing 2x4's. Then sheetrock or whatever you are going to use for your finished wall. Run the plywood horizontal. Be careful not to run the screw into the copper. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hosh View Post
                    I'm not sure what you mean by a "back vent". I'm pretty sure it is the original line. I've had the property for 16 years and the house was built in the early 60's. I have no clue where whoever did it got the copper from.
                    I thought in your original post that you were implying that copper was installed new...so that confused me a bit.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Hmm.. decisions decisions.

I think I'll see how much room I have in my attic, and if possible, route the vent up through the stud bay and reconnect with the main vent stack up there. Otherwise the plywood idea sounds like a good option. I'm tempted to cut out the copper either way to add to my treasure pile.

Comment

Also, I'm still a little confused why I need to know where the plumber purchased the copper?

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Hmm.. decisions decisions.

I think I'll see how much room I have in my attic, and if possible, route the vent up through the stud bay and reconnect with the main vent stack up there. Otherwise the plywood idea sounds like a good option. I'm tempted to cut out the copper either way to add to my treasure pile.
                          We always run our back vents up in the attic and make our tie-ins there. That way you don't have 9 2x4's with holes in them.

Comment

Also, I'm still a little confused why I need to know where the plumber purchased the copper?
                            lol...you confused me as I thought you were implying that copper was recently put in by a Plumber. Because if it was, I was wondering where he bought his copper for it to look so crappy, as it was laying around for about 50 years.

Comment

Ahhh.. my fault I was scratching my head for a while there.. Thinking I'd have to go Columbo on this pipe.

I wasn't clear in the beginning and should have mentioned that I gutted the bathroom and this is what I found. I've been a bit out of it lately. I started this project last week but in taking my tools from my van, I swung an extension cord up at myself, into my eye, and tore off 80% of my left cornea. New record for me - injured before I even begin the actual project! After a week with a patch, I feel clumsy yet doubly blessed to live in this wonderful country with good medicine
                              Last edited by Hosh; 12-22-2011, 07:39 PM. Reason: why not..eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X