X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean up Oatey #5?

At the time I bought it I didn't realise this stuff is oil based and not water soluble. But now I have a life time supply of this stuff and would like to now what is the best way to clean the outside of joint to prevent corrosion and joint failure?

Soap and water the best way? What did the Pro's use when oil based flux whose populer?
    Last edited by rodm1; 12-21-2011, 05:21 PM.

Re: Clean up Oatey #5?

try simple green. it should work.

problem is that flux is not legal for potable water.

for the last 15+ years we've needed to use water soluble flux.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      for the last 15+ years we've needed to use water soluble flux.
      For some reason, the state of Pennsylvania never got that memo!

Comment

Originally posted by rodm1 View Post
        At the time I bought it I didn't realise this stuff is oil based and not water soluble. But now I have a life time supply of this stuff and would like to now what is the best way to clean the outside of joint to prevent corrosion and joint failure?

Soap and water the best way? What did the Pro's use when oil based flux whose populer?
        What about inside?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          What about inside?
          Maybe you can answer that. But I'm not to worried about it eventually it will wash out with use.

Comment

not always and even in hot water. flux has been a serious issue with pin holes.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Is that the reasoning behind it? I only do small soldering on rentals I own and have switched to water soluble but have no clue of the reasoning behind it. So the solder degrades the joints from the inside?

Comment

Looking into this more (Rick's old post). It looks like theres a chanse of flux getting traped inside the solder joint and it doesn't wash out of the lines very well either. Short term it probble won't matter 10 to 20 years is where you will start to have problems if any.

That combo and not washing the outside can lead to joint failure. I pulled apart a recently soldered cold water line yesterday (4 or 5 weeks) and it still had flux splattering with corrosion starting inside a heavily used cold water line. I'm asuming A oil based flux had been used no way of confirming it.

Comment

Working...
                X