X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trap in line

Can a trap be put in a horizental iine inside a heated basement when a washer drain is routed through an unheated crawlspace/

Re: Trap in line

Where is your vent coming off the line for the washing machine?
    Can you put the trap above the floor over the crawl space?
    Last edited by nobackfall; 12-23-2011, 12:20 AM.

Comment

I have seen it done that way before,only because of complaints about smells coming from the piping.The more pipe you have before the trap the more likely you will have a stinky drain.

Comment

I would say "no" because it would be considered a running trap.

Comment

The washer trap is required to be above the floor, at least by the UPC. Also, no running traps.

Comment

From what I can see the previous owner put this drain in a small addition at the back of the house.I have been looking and can't see a vent coming out of the roof.The drain is coming from the heated side of the basement,runs along the wall and then exits to the addition built over the crawlspace .It is near to what was the back of the house. I think the drain where the washer is connected is the end of the run. I imagine I am going to have to bite the bullet and open the wall and ceiling in order to put a trap or at least a vent through the roof.

Comment

I guess I don't understand what you are asking. Is there a working drain for the washer, or you want to put one in?
              If your putting one in then that would be the correct way, opening up the wall and running the vent. You can locate the trap in the wall also, if you have the room.
              If you have more questions when you get into it, snap some pics. We love to mull over the pics, and let you know what we think.
              Good luck..

Comment

Nobackfall,there is a line there.From what I can figure out there cant be a trap or vent,just a drain tapped into the main drain line.There is a washer inlet for the washer to drain into but an almost constant odor of sewage.Most days it is almost undetectable,but others it is quite strong.

Comment

Of course their is a smell that is why you use a p-trap !

Cut your pipe off at the correct height install a santee branch install a p trap and new standpipe,
                  and then extend off the top of the tee and install a aav and it is all done
                  JERRYMAC
                  E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                  CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                  FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                  SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

So this morning I was reading the I.P.C. and "running traps" isn't discussed at all from what I saw unless I over looked it. I could of swore they were illegal in all codes.

Comment

Illinois state code allows a running trap as long as it's vented,don't know about the others.
                      Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Working...
                      X