X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pin hole in copper pipe

Gentlemen, Please tell me what is taking place when I get pin holes in a 3/4" hot water copper pipe. I think the pipe is type m and the water hardest was 27 ppm it is now 7 ppm. I have had to replace a few sections of the copper and am thinking about replacing it all. Thanx for your reply. Rich

Re: pin hole in copper pipe

One cause has been unreamed pipe. This ridge causes the water to cavate creating pin holes. I believe Your water chemistry is another. A poster from Your area will know about Your water conditions. Good luck
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

does your hot system have a circulating pump on it?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Are you on a well?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          does your hot system have a circulating pump on it?

rick.
          No circulating pump , electric water heater and yes the water comes from deep wells. Thanx

Comment

Originally posted by justforgetit View Post
            No circulating pump , electric water heater and yes the water comes from deep wells. Thanx
            Wells are infamous for a high acid content and I see it here in Pa, as we have a ton of wells in our area. You might need an acid neutralizer, but the only way to tell is to have your water tested. Obviously replacing your water lines in Pex would be ideal, but that alone doesn't protect your appliances themselves. Most offer a free water analysis, and it would be worth it to you to have that done.

Comment

How Old is thé copper iv ran into that on village water and well water systems all thé houses were built mid eightys and all thé copper was wolverine brands type l and m i was yold by another plumber they had * few bad batches sometime between 82 and 1986 hope This helps seanny.

Comment

Reasons why you get pinholes.

Acid water from your well could be a contributor. Easy test is to get a cheap pool test kit, or fish tank test kit from WalMart, Home Depot, Petsmart and check your water quality. If your on well water you should be having this done by a certified lab at least once a year.

Other causes; Electrolysis from dissimilar metal contact. Is your house grounded to the copper pipe? (another cause when the copper is not properly earth grounded)

However, the best one I know of is copper pipe that came from Mexico, circa 1987-88 - 1998. This pipe is notorious for being crappp. The whole Black Mold Lawsuits back in the mid 90's to early 2000's in California were a direct cause from pin hole development in this cheap copper pipe. I know of entire housing tracts in San Diego County that had to be re piped because of it. In my own neighborhood, built circa 95' virtually every house has under gone re piping and our major pin hole repair. This year alone I have personally repaired my neighbors house five times. The first of the year we are going to do a re pipe for them.

Hard water alone will generally not cause pin-hole leaks in copper pipe if the copper is of quality.

Comment

Type "M" Copper? That ain't good. Beaucoup electrolysis going on. Three or more leaks? Time for a repipe,
                  regardless of cause. Don't waste time over analyzing it.
                  Last edited by Big Jim; 12-26-2011, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                    Don't waste time over analyzing it.
                    Would agree normally, but I've seen very deep wells burn irritate the skin of homeowners before...not something to play around with.

Comment

Gentlemen, Thank You for your replies, This addition was put on in the 80;s so I am guessing cheap made copper pipe. I am going to replace it with Pex. Thanks again for your replies. Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        Would agree normally, but I've seen very deep wells burn irritate the skin of homeowners before...not something to play around with.
                        LOL. I meant the problem, not the water.

Comment

Was just in the basement, and saw a 1/2" 90 with a small drip. Looks like a pin hole. It is on the line before my softener running to my silcocks.
                          Built this house about 9 years ago. Cheapa$$ copper from south of the border, probably!

Comment

Originally posted by nobackfall View Post
                            Cheapa$$ copper from south of the border, probably!
                            Yeah, the Mongolian border.

Comment

Working...
                            X