Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

CPVC is there an easy way to ID from PVC other then the printing on it?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPVC is there an easy way to ID from PVC other then the printing on it?

Is CPVC a different color? I see in photos some has a strip is that an industry standard?

Re: CPVC is there an easy way to ID from PVC other then the printing on it?

CPVC is almost always found in CTS sizes, and PVC is usually sch.40

Comment

here the standard CPVC here is a light yellowish color or tan. and the PVC is alomost always snow white color with red or black writing.
      Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
      crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Comment

Yes there is a strip. But if you can't you cant slip a comp. ring over it... well it it's something but not cpvc

Comment

cpvc and copper are sized the same. od I think.

Comment

CPVC is Chlorinated so it has a different feel than PVC. It is also made in a Copper Tube Size (both Schedules) rater than an Iron Pipe Size.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

...i've seen only light yellow color as the difference between the two. it could have been the id of the manufacture, genova, though. in any case i wouldn't use it for hot water unless you're sure it's cpvc. pvc won't handle hot water.

Comment

Thanks everyone, HD in my area must not sell it. I thought it probable whose the yellow looking stuff. Can you use PVC cement on it? I assume PEX probable replaced it at HD.

Comment

Originally posted by rodm1 View Post
                  Thanks everyone, HD in my area must not sell it. I thought it probable whose the yellow looking stuff. Can you use PVC cement on it? I assume PEX probable replaced it at HD.
                  ...i would not use PVC cement on CPVC tubing. make sure the cement is indeed for the CPVC tubing. they make a cement that is supposed to be OK for pvc, abs, and cpvc but i wouldn't trust that.

i had a situation once where i used it and i had what could have been a catastrophe hadn't i been there at the time. re-did the area with the cement that stated only for cpvc tubing and had success.

Comment

Working...
                  X