X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calling in a Pro!

Thanks Rick & Ranger. Rick, it's a bath tub with tile surround. I sprayed bleach into sink overflow and then filled sink a couple times to clean overflow. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      rick did not teach you this

i use the ones with the plastic horns all the time. but make sure you use a full 4'' on a 4'' closet bend and flange. would find it next to impossible for an auger to grab a wax ring horn that's tight to the pipe.

i seldom use a closet auger. but use my trusty plunger 95%+ of the time with great success.

rick.
      Sorry bout that , one of Your brothers did. Learned it here, for sure
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

While I'm waiting for the Plumber, I looked at the wall behind the toilet. Three years ago I secured a storage fixture to the wall and wondered if I hit a vent pipe with a screw? I cut a 3x5 inch opening in the sheet rock and although I didn't damage the 3" copper pipe the odor was very strong. So it's back there somewhere? Got a feeling they may have to open the floor & wall, not going to be my call. Frank

Comment

If the plumber cant find anything obvious it may be time for a smoke test. My guess is a big dead furry rat
          Last edited by plumberscrack; 01-03-2012, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            If the plumber cant find anything obvious it may be time for a smoke test. My guess is a rotted out vent back in the wall above the lavy arm tee.
            I think you are right. Will find out today.

Comment

God Bless My Plumber!!! Norm showed up with his teenage son who is learning the Trade. I filled him in on what I had done so far and while he agreed the smell was stronger behind the wall, he was not in a hurry to tear down my tiled wall which I was encouraging him to do.
              We went to the tenants bathroom on the first floor and saw no leaks, didn't notice the smell either, But we did smell the odor from the tenants fiber glass shower right next to their bathroom. A door separates the two areas. We checked out the pipes in the crawl space which is behind the tenants apartment. I pulled a lot of junk away from the wall so Norm could see where I trenched for the shower drain twenty years ago. He said, "Frank, I see some dropping on the cement " I punched through the sheetrock and we could see about two feet in just outside of the shower unit, a big dead furry rat! I could barely reach it and told Norm and his Son to wait outside ( no need for them to inhale that odor and possible disease.

Norm will send me a bill and I'll pay it with a big smile. I couldn't understand why he didn't just tear into the walls, and he told me because he did that years ago but learned to be more patient and take in more information before doing that. He welcomed our talking things through and saw no need to be agressive. He did make two different inspection holes about 8x10" in the tenants ceiling which I already started to patch up. He could have easily pulled my toilet and opened the tiled wall behind it in search of the problem, and I would not have thought twice because it seemed the reasonable thing to do. The odor was that similar to stagnant waste water. There is so much more to Plumbing than knowing the mechanics of it, I wish more homeowners could appreciate such experience and professionalism. Take care guys. Frank

Comment

there you go Crack you hit it on the head
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                  there you go Crack you hit it on the head
                  It wasn't hard for pC to figure that one out--D.C. is full of rats!! AKA Congress! :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X