X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling in a Pro!

Strong odor of sewer water in upstairs bathroom last couple of days. Checked bathroom below and no leaks in ceiling or anywhere including traps on bathroom sinks. No leaks around toilet bowl bases. Good drainage in bath tub, pulled stopper and stopper lever, no clogs. Ran bleach down all drains. Ran water through roof vent. Bleached toilet tank reservoir???? Checked attic for dead animal or human intruder Time to get a Pro. All copper waste including 3" main. City sewer.

Re: Calling in a Pro!

Frankie, I told you you have to bathe more often!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
      Frankie, I told you you have to bathe more often!!
      And lose that protective layer of bacteria? Twice a year Kid, just like the folks who settled this great country!

Comment

I would start by reseting your commode
        But first Fill up your tub about a 1/4 full and let the water out
        listen next to your com if you hear the water draining its a bad seal

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
          I would start by reseting your commode
          But first Fill up your tub about a 1/4 full and let the water out
          listen next to your com if you hear the water draining its a bad seal
          I filled the tub drain with bleach and filled and drained the tub twice with hot water. I have a feeling even though there is no leak around the commode that might be the problem. I expected a leak somewhere if it was a bad trap losing water and allowing fumes into the living space?
          My back is in bad shape from resealing a big skylite a couple days ago. I'm gonna let a Pro make the call and gladly pay him to change the wax ring if necessary. The commode holds it's water level and flushs well. Thanks, Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            I filled the tub drain with bleach and filled and drained the tub twice with hot water. I have a feeling even though there is no leak around the commode that might be the problem. I expected a leak somewhere if it was a bad trap losing water and allowing fumes into the living space?
            My back is in bad shape from resealing a big skylite a couple days ago. I'm gonna let a Pro make the call and gladly pay him to change the wax ring if necessary. The commode holds it's water level and flushs well. Thanks, Frank
            Has anyone plunged the toilet recently ? Might of blown out wax ring. The Gals don't always want to let anyone know they had to do this.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Has anyone plunged the toilet recently ? Might of blown out wax ring. The Gals don't always want to let anyone know they had to do this.
              One of my daughters does back up the toilet and we do plunge it occassionally. I plunged it a couple times today even though it has been draining fine. Why wouldn't I see some water if the wax ring was bad? I changed it a few years back and used the ring with a plastic collar, don't know if they're still in style or cause other problems? Wish my back was okay, I just can't move around to do the job. Thanks. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                One of my daughters does back up the toilet and we do plunge it occassionally. I plunged it a couple times today even though it has been draining fine. Why wouldn't I see some water if the wax ring was bad? I changed it a few years back and used the ring with a plastic collar, don't know if they're still in style or cause other problems? Wish my back was okay, I just can't move around to do the job. Thanks. Frank
                Rick taught Me not to use the plastic coller wax rings. A closet auger can seperate the coller and create a blockage. Hope Your back gets better soon. been there Many times
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Rick taught Me not to use the plastic coller wax rings. A closet auger can separate the coller and create a blockage. Hope Your back gets better soon. been there Many times
                  rick did not teach you this

i use the ones with the plastic horns all the time. but make sure you use a full 4'' on a 4'' closet bend and flange. would find it next to impossible for an auger to grab a wax ring horn that's tight to the pipe.

i seldom use a closet auger. but use my trusty plunger 95%+ of the time with great success.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Okay, just curious, can the wax ring be bad to allow the waste odor but not leak water?

Comment

Well, I manned up and changed the wax ring! Dopey me had some extra fun after draining all the water, using towels to sop up the rest and discontecting the feed. I removed the two bolts securing the toilet and when I went to lift the toilet did not budge! Here's why. OVer ten years ago I was watching a real plumber install a toilet and he traced the base outline, mixed up some plaster of paris and poured a bead onto the marking. He then set the toilet and put on a level, wiped the excess plaster and it looked great. I had forgot that the last time I replaced the wax ring I had the bright idea of using silicone caulking in place of plaster. Took a while to break the seal without breaking the bowl. My wife held the bowl from tipping over while I cleaned off all the old stuff and set the new ring. What you guys do on a daily basis without thinking twice gave me a workout. I'll say it again, I have the utmost respect for Tradesmen. Frank
                      Last edited by Frankiarmz; 01-03-2012, 12:44 AM.

Comment

So how did the wax look ?

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                          So how did the wax look ?
                          Unfortunately, it didn't look that bad. No water or dampness. The odor is still present and the Plumber will be here today. I'm really at a loss. I could see if the tub or sink drain were running slow or traps were not holding water, but they seem fine?No dead animals in attic and the vent was clear, I ran a garden hose for a few minutes, no problem? Can't wait till he gets here and figures it out. I'm glad I changed the wax ring, eliminated one possible cause. Frank
                          Last edited by Frankiarmz; 01-03-2012, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Lavy sink overflow dirty. Can put out a very foul odor. Put a piece of tape over it for a few days and see if the smell goes away.

Comment

frank, is your shower tile or stone with a hot mopped shower pan?

i've had good luck using bleach to kill off the bacteria that has formed between the tile/ stone and hot mopping.

typically the smell would come and go when the shower was used and pan got wet.

plugged off the drain and filled the floor with bleach for approx 30 minutes to allow it to soak in and kill the germs.

rick.

ps. yes a wax ring can allow sewer gas out and not leak water. just as long as there is no stoppage. think of the ring as a funnel and not making good contact. water will funnel from the horn of the toilet into the flange/ closet bend.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X