Two valve, two head shower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two valve, two head shower

Long time listener; first time caller. Anyway, I'm replacing my tub with a shower and would like to have two shower heads with separate control valves, as she like her water much colder than mine. I was thinking of installing a tee on both the hot and cold lines, each leading to a separate valve. My question is, will there be enough pressure for each valve simultaneously? Are there low-flow shower heads ideal for such a set-up? I currently have 1/2" copper throughout the house. Any help is appreciated.

-Ryan

Re: Two valve, two head shower

Get married.. then you wont both be in the shower at the same time and no need to reno your shower.. just joking.. get the specs on your shower valves or pick a shower valve and check i would think it would be enough as long as theirs no body sprays and just to seperate valves id pipe them in a pressure balancing loop if it were me ... Hope this helps.. ps check with the manufacturer before doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Goose View Post
      I was thinking of installing a tee on both the hot and cold lines, each leading to a separate valve. My question is, will there be enough pressure for each valve simultaneously? Are there low-flow shower heads ideal for such a set-up? I currently have 1/2" copper throughout the house. Any help is appreciated.

-Ryan
      i would say this is the best way to do it
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
        Get married.. then you wont both be in the shower at the same time and no need to reno your shower.. just joking.. get the specs on your shower valves or pick a shower valve and check i would think it would be enough as long as theirs no body sprays and just to seperate valves id pipe them in a pressure balancing loop if it were me ... Hope this helps.. ps check with the manufacturer before doing so.
        yep if you have sprays.. look out. Otherwise you MAY be fine.

Comment

There are a lot of variables you need to consider. I have done a lot of custom showers over the years so all give you some of the basics then you can ask questions from there.

Flow and pressure are two different things, all though they play into each other, so keep that in mind.

1. What is the static water pressure coming into the house.
          2. How far away from the incoming water line to the house, (i.e. from the pressure regulator) is the shower located.
          3. Is this a single story or two story home.
          4. How old is the house.
          5. When you say; one likes it hot and one likes it cold, do you plan on showering together? (I actually make this a routine question, its important in calculating the fixture count requirements, and gets some pretty red faces on the wives, )
          5a. Do you want the shower heads on the same wall or opposing walls?
          5b. 1/2" supply, supporting two showers running at the same time could be an issue if you don't have the static pressure and your run of 1/2" is excessive. When we do a custom shower we generally have to run 3/4" supply from the incoming main and from the water heater to support the shower valve(s)

To give you an idea how we do a two head configuration; I am doing a custom right now that has 3/4" from the main & heater to two Kohler 3/4 theromatic control valves. The showers oppose each other. One for him, a fixed shower head at just under 7' and the opposing one for her, a shower wand with an adjustable slide rack. It took almost 70' of 3/4" pipe to supply both shower controls and outlets. The drain is 2".

6. If you flush a toilet or run the washing machine now, does it effect the flow or water pressure coming out of the shower? If yes, then your going to need to rethink running 3/4" pipe.
          7. Is your current drain pipe 1-1/2" or 2". If you have a standard drop in tub, then most likely your drain line is going to be 1-1/2". If your running two shower heads at the same time with high flow your drain is not going to be able to keep up.

Most people I know and have done showers for, including myself want to feel like they are getting water on them. I have never had a customer, family or friend say to me, "Hey, can you get me some of those Hotel Shower heads, you know the ones that feel like they are misting you!"

Most shower heads sold in the U.S. comply with California's low flow regulations. In the majority of the shower heads a pair of needle nose pliers can be used to pull the restrictors out. Other units need to be taken apart to remove the restrictor. You can find shower heads out there that flow less then a gallon a minute of water. They look like high school or hotel shower nozzles and frankly if you build out a nice custom shower make the shower look like Shitzke.

My personal opinion is spend the extra money now and do it right, do it custom, and do it big. You won't regret it in the long run.

Comment

What a waste.
            Install a shower hose with multi-spray hand-held sprayer.
            Saves water and you can thoroughly wash yourself where a mounted shower head will not reach.
            I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
            It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
            "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Working...
            X