X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass Bottle in 4" Sewer

Parking garage stack cut off flush with slab and abandoned for several years. Now theres several beer bottles stuffed in there way past the sweep.

How would YOU approach this? Go in hard with a big machine to break them up or try to push them 150 feet to the main and hope they dont get hung up in the saddle?
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 01-09-2012, 05:52 PM.

Re: Glass Bottle in 4" Sewer

I would keep the line full off water
    The first go at it would be with a big open spring to push and hope for the whoosh
    2nd i would go hard and break it up and run it out to the city
    Good luck

Comment

I agree that using as much water as you can.....I would probably just break them and get it over with and then just try to flush the shards out.....
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

How deep in are they? Could you smash them some how and then fish a shop vac hose down and try sucking up some of the pieces?

Comment

Play pin ball ! wrist rocket and metal balls at opening.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Now, this is what you need! 1800' of 9/16 stainless steel rod going in at about 2000lbs of pressure. Just spin the coil and no more bottles. Thirty years and sixty pounds ago. Frank
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              Now, this is what you need! 1800' of 9/16 stainless steel rod going in at about 2000lbs of pressure. Just spin the coil and no more bottles. Thirty years and sixty pounds ago. Frank
              And the ITALIAN STALLION TO ROD IT !
              Frank Musta broke some hearts !
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Nah, I was all show and no go! Two girlfriends and married the second one. What was I thinking? Oh, just heard my wife say the same thing. Machine was a rented Henkels and McCoy out of PA. A couple years later we got Champion to keep, bigger and stronger. That rod could do some damage.

Comment

bill, breaking the bottles are a disaster unless you can flush out the broken pieces of glass. had this happen on a job over 30 years ago and the snake broke the glass, but left behind the pieces. so there was a stoppage until the glass was removed by opening up the pipe.

i would try a small jetter hose and try to suck them back to the opening first. if not then a jetter from the other end to draw out the broken glass. or the porta potty vacuum truck to suck them out.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Would * chain end for scale build up maybe work.. just thinking might be able to smash them small enough to blow them out with a pressure washer/ jetter.or just sneak a cable down past them and attach a big sponge or cloth and pull it back from up top hoping to just bring them back the way they came... Maybe attach a test plug thats not inflated.. 4" id try * 3" test plug partially inflated.
                    Last edited by seanny deep; 01-10-2012, 01:15 AM.

Comment

I have lots of luck with a cable retriever grabbing bottles and such out of drains. Thing is if they are easily pushed down stream, the odds are you will not hook them. Another way is to get a super vacuum truck there. Pumper trucks do not have much suction. The guys with the super vacuum truck can just put the hose over the open pipe and 9 times out of 10 they will get all the debris out.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Cherry bombs or M-80s ought to take care of it.
                        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

A regular vac truck will work if the operator knows how to use it. Start the vac pump, keep the valve closed until the vacuum in the tank is high, around 20" or so, and crack it. If the tank is empty there is a tremendous volume of air until the vacuum in the tank stabilizes. We have pulled debris out of sewers this way.

I was thinking maybe a jetter with a button nose or pointed nose nozzle. Get up against it, then pull it back a ways and let 'er go, maybe it would punch it hard enough to break it. Then, with a rear flush you could pull them back toward you so you can suck them out with a shop vac. Maybe.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your ideas. Unfortunately, this is 3 levels down in a parking garage. No way a Vac truck gets down there or anywhere near. We ended up pushing the bottle with the K1500 using a retrieving head. Took a LONG time close to 3 hours but did work. I would have thought that breaking the bottle would be easy but its not....we tried. Turns out that line doesn't even go to the sewer LOL. It was a storm drain that goes to a huge ejector pit about 75 feet away.

Comment

Thanks for the update PlumbersCrack.
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                              X