Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replace 1 1/2"pvc with 2"

back story:
    I bought a new HE washer for upstairs. When it spins, drains, water backs up and over the drain pipe.
    The pipe was rigged (poorly) by a previous home owner and runs down and along the basement wall to a larger galvanized drain. It appears the 1 1/2 is smaller than the galv and flares out to adapt. Based on what I have read across the net, I'm guessing my problem is insufficient capacity.

My plumbing experience:
    slightly more than zero.

my question:
    Is it likely that I can remove the 1 1/2 and replace with 2" and would that likely solve my problem?
    can post pics if helpful.

Thanks in advance to anyone with advice.

Re: replace 1 1/2"pvc with 2"

Pics are helpful. I am not a professional plumber but have seen this type of problem before. If the 1.5" pipe is clear, then the problem is likely in the 2" portion, especially if it has a trap. Is the 2" drain a floor-drain or part of a stack?

Comment

You are under the U.P.C. Plumbing code . UPC 804.1 states stand pipe 2",not less than 18" nor more than 30" above trap. trap not less than 6" not more than 18" above floor. Good idea to change to 2" . Also I would snake out that roof vent and drain line. once in a while Jimmy the squirrel loads up the roof vent with acorns. First thing I would attack is scouring all the lines to the street. Ask Your neighbors for a good small local drain cleaner. When one name keeps coming up, You want Him. Suggest You stay away from the big box National Cos. Unless You want to RE finance! Good Luck .Tool
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by rutipz2 View Post
        back story:
        I bought a new HE washer for upstairs. When it spins, drains, water backs up and over the drain pipe.
        The pipe was rigged (poorly) by a previous home owner and runs down and along the basement wall to a larger galvanized drain. It appears the 1 1/2 is smaller than the galv and flares out to adapt. Based on what I have read across the net, I'm guessing my problem is insufficient capacity.

My plumbing experience:
        slightly more than zero.

my question:
        Is it likely that I can remove the 1 1/2 and replace with 2" and would that likely solve my problem?
        can post pics if helpful.

Thanks in advance to anyone with advice.
        The problem is most likely in the galvinized line being full of build up on the walls. It would be a good idea to replace it. Cut the PVC where it enters the galv and take a look. I think youll be suprised at what you find.
        26+6=1

Comment

Yes, It's amazing the amount of sludge build up on old Galvy lines
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
          X