X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Septic tank question

BTW, I do know that a mound system uses a lift station, but was wondering if there is possibly new technology out there that uses a holding tank for the solid waste and then pumps the liquid waste through a less obtrusive system?

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
      BTW, I do know that a mound system uses a lift station, but was wondering if there is possibly new technology out there that uses a holding tank for the solid waste and then pumps the liquid waste through a less obtrusive system?
      You have 10 acres can't you put the mound somewhere sort of out of the way. Your septic tank is the holding tank for solid waste & the pump chamber is the lift station, which just for concrete pump chamber in MD costs $500 - $1,500 depending on the size the county requires, so not much savings there.One thing you could try is to dig a big section of your backyard up , back fill with sand, wait a couple of years & then get a perk test

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
        Fudd.... Trust me.. its tempting, especially since I don't ever plan on moving, and if I did sell, its to a developer and the house gets bulldozed anyway. Only problem is I eventually want a much larger garage, can't hide that under a sheet.... LOL
        Can you put a pole barn up without upgrading septic system ? I put (2) 40 x 60 pole barns up on my farm no sheets or permits Of course the only way you can see them is by satellite & they show up real good on satellite

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
          Can you put a pole barn up without upgrading septic system ? I put (2) 40 x 60 pole barns up on my farm no sheets or permits Of course the only way you can see them is by satellite & they show up real good on satellite
          No buildings without permits, they enforce it RELIGIOUSLY! They actually have a team that reviews satellite photos looking for pools, additions and out buildings and comparing them to permit records. Not to mention they also fly around the county and take a look from above as well... It's crazy.

Also, problem with my lot is set backs, I must stay 150' from the road center line with structures (including septic systems), also septic systems must be 100 (maybe 150, I don't recall) from water ways, and the creek (drainage ditch...) And since that creek cuts right through my property, and they also won't let you put the new mound on clay (80% of my land) it leaves my backyard as the only spot...

Comment

THANK GOD...our state repealed the sprinkler mandate law this past year!

Permits? what permits? I would definitely do the permit though for your garage, anything inside of the house as long as it's done to code, is none of their business as far as I'm concerned. Once I get in my house, I'm only taking 1 permit out for my pole barn. Alpha, you should look long and hard at a pole barn, as it will be easier on you for taxes, and most come with a 25 yr guarantee.

Comment

I would redo the second floor and hire people you can trust or do most of it yourself theirs no way in hell id spend 20k on a septic just cause im finishing something thats preexisting.. here its called replacement and you fight a inspection or permit quite easily its basically maintence. Why not subdivide 2 acres or so and sell it wouldnt that pay for pole shed and septic if your forced to do so...? Good luck that kind of regulations makes me sick. Seanny

Comment

The only way I could sub divide is to put in a bridge over the creek as I don't have enough room between the road and creek to follow set backs. There is enough room on the other side of the creek to cluster two houses, but the bridge will be a fight that involves the DNR, state, county and township, and I'm not sure what kind of dough we're talking there.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
                  I don't agree with it, but scientifically it does make sense to me.

A standard system relies on the soil under the leach field lines to treat the effluent. I don't know what your neighborhood or community is like, but in subdivisions or high population areas there is getting to be quite a concentration of septic waste entering the soil. In areas with shallow ground water it is becoming more and more important to think ahead and take steps to protect our drinking water source.

It is true that a standard gravity system as well as a high-tech aerobic system both send the wastewater down into the ground. The difference is that with a gravity system propane delivery orange county the waste is full strength, whereas with a sand mound or an aerobic system the waste is highly treated before it ever reaches native soil, and is therefore safe to be reintroduced into the aquifer. Studies show that 4' of good filtering media will treat septic waste to safe levels. Aerobic systems are by far the benchmark for treating household waste, but sand mounds have very impressive treatment capabilities if and when they are properly installed.

Again, I don't agree with your regulations, but when you take the long look it does make sense that at some point we need to take steps to protect our groundwater as population and the number of systems discharging waste into the aquifer continues to increase.
                  This whole thing really doesn't make sense.

But if someone has to sign off on it then what are you options really?
                  Last edited by Socal John; 05-12-2012, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X