X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use Bag traps?

Hey guys I had just finished a job for a first time contractor. It was a 4 bathroom rough-in and fixture set included. This was just a small low budget job with all builders grade fixtures. The job went well, all things tested and secured. After the Contractors inspection, he texted me that he didn't like the traps on the sink. "I couldn't believe it, your actually complaining about the traps" I told myself. He doesn't like bag traps ( the traps with the thinner schedule pvc, and has twist lock joints). I use them for smaller jobs and there quick to install and they are just as durable. I want to know does anyone else have a problem with these types of traps for bath sinks or kitchen sinks?
    Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
    crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Re: Do you use Bag traps?

the term is probably a tubular trap. i seldom use them except to replace exisiting ones already installed.

i prefer the sch. 40 abs la pattern traps. of course they don't have the extension slip joint on them like the tubular, but they are a much heavier build and i find them less likeley to break or plug especially on a kitchen disposal install.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Personally think the complaint is idiocy. I like "bag traps" as it just means no issues in removing them to get to the real issue when the line clogs. I deeply hate glued in sch 40 traps as they are a pita to remove w/o making a huge mess to get access to the actual issue. Complaints of this nature indicate one of two things; your customer is either someone who has never had to clear a clog, or someone who is a thru the trap drill gun dice roller.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

the la pattern sch 40 traps we use have a union on the outlet of the trap and a slip joint on the top of the inlet.

so removing a sch 40 trap is only slightly more time consuming as the large union nut requires a 430 -440 channelocks. still allows me to run 5/8'' sectional cable with cutter through the remaining trap 90.

also the trap requires the proper length trap arm as there is no slip adjustment in the length, just the 2.5'' left to right swing.

never used abs tube traps in new construction, but have used thousands of the sch 40. abs traps.

another thing is that tube traps require a stop trap adapter to keep the tailpiece from extending into the trap arm. most i've seen never use them.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

He has a legitimate complaint .I installed hundreds of them while doing trac housing . I know the tailpieces and washers are right there but they are garbage. I have had many seems leak right outta the bag.. Never liked them.They are way too thin for my liking and they will vibrate loose if used at a disposal. Do yourself and your customers a favor , start using 708x p traps and trap adapters .That way you can cut your taiipieces with 1 1/2" pvc any lenght and it looks professional. Just my opinion
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X