Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My piping situation

Hi,

I’m hoping someone can give me some insight on my pipe situation. I am currently buying the house that I’ve been renting for the last couple of years. I’ve had a few plumbing problems here and there, but nothing too major. I recently had a friend send a camera down one of the cleanouts to see if I need to be concerned. The pipes are about 45 years old. We sent the camera down 80’ and didn’t see anything too alarming. The pics show the worse spots.
    Can someone tell me from these pictures if I should be concerned? I see some corrosion, is that normal? Is there anything I should do in the near future that will prevent any possible plumbing issues down the road?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Attachment Attachment Attachment
    Attached Files

Re: My piping situation

Looks like hard water build up....or some kind of scale build up....a good jet job should clean that right up...
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

jetting will help to descale it. but you have to be concerned to push it out and not suck it back.

the white crust looks like heavy soap scum or grease.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Hey Rick, what is the type of pipe. Is it cast iron or steel. 45yrs old, wow........!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Smart move getting a video inspection done before you buy any home.

I'm assuming 60' from the cleanout is still on your property. If not, you may be in the City Sewer Main where it is not your responsibility to maintain.

Would recommend to get someone to use a water jetter on the main line and while they are there do the kitchen sink line also if that amount of grease is in the main, especially if there is any considerable horizontal distance from the kitchen sink to the rest of the plumbing in the home. Then do another video inspection to make sure they got it all out and to check what is under the buildup.

Be well,

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by traceyinsd View Post
            Hi,

I’m hoping someone can give me some insight on my pipe situation. I am currently buying the house that I’ve been renting for the last couple of years. I’ve had a few plumbing problems here and there, but nothing too major. I recently had a friend send a camera down one of the cleanouts to see if I need to be concerned. The pipes are about 45 years old. We sent the camera down 80’ and didn’t see anything too alarming. The pics show the worse spots.
            Can someone tell me from these pictures if I should be concerned? I see some corrosion, is that normal? Is there anything I should do in the near future that will prevent any possible plumbing issues down the road?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Attachment Attachment Attachment
            Doesn't look like you have any corrosion... I would say it's more build up then anything.

If you're concerned make sure you get someone professional to clear it up.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X