Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clogged 2" Kitchen Drain

Hi,
    I have a 2" line that runs from the kitchen, has about a 4' drop to the basement ceiling and then runs underneath the lower family room (concrete floor) to the end of the house that has the bathrooms & washing machine, all but kitchen work fine. I can access a clean out from the basement right before it goes underneath the family room and it can't be more than a 30' run to the main line. I have run a Ridgid K-400 with the cutting head through it several times. I hit a few hard spots but get through them and see a little white grease when it is retrieved. It is like it plugs up after I have run through it. I don't get much grease down my drain but is almost like it is a long grease clog that seals back up after I run through it.
    Any thoughts??
    Thanks
    Jerry

Re: Clogged 2" Kitchen Drain

Yes it can happen.... you cable thru the soft and greasy blockage and it don't open....I call it a self healing stoppage....they are tough without a little jetter....key is to go slow and keep the water level at you entry point high and watch it as you cable...and go back and forth several times...if you can get an kind of flow, with the cable in the line and running, then dump as much Dawn detergent with your cable as you can...
    Last edited by dcman; 01-17-2012, 03:07 PM.
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Hi Derek,

Is the T-205 "C" cutter the best end to use?

Thanks

Comment

On a 2" drain its pretty good but on that size I do like the spirals better as they cover more area and require somewhat less work...
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Heres a little secret that should help you out. (this is coming from a plumber with a chemical engineering background)

If your issue is grease, for the next couple months or so get in the habit of throwing a couple cups of liquid dish soap down your drain, very to little water. At least once or twice a week. Just pour it straight down the drain at night before you go to bed. The key to dish soap is it has emulsifiers that are designed to break down grease into a more water soluble compound. Over time that grease plug will be gone. Cheers

Comment

I used the spiral & it came back several times full of grease and then only a little. Then I closed it up and put Dawn down the kitchen sink and followed with several gallons of boiling water. It took about 2 minutes and it is flowing best ever.

Thanks!!
            Jerry

Comment

[QUOTE=juniorace;369241]followed with several gallons of boiling water. It took about 2 minutes and it is flowing best ever./QUOTE]

Just remember running hot water down a greasy drain pipe just moves the grease down to another location. You have to let the dish soap break the grease down, which can take awhile depending on the build up.

Comment

Thanks for all of your help!!
                Jerry

Comment

Jerry, I want You to be an old Man like Me! Why all the GREASE?
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    Jerry, I want You to be an old Man like Me! Why all the GREASE?
                    Yeah, get in the habit of draining the grease from cooking vessels into a can to dispose in the trash, don't pour it down the drain. I also think garbage disposals are a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilC View Post
                      Yeah, get in the habit of draining the grease from cooking vessels into a can to dispose in the trash, don't pour it down the drain. I also think garbage disposals are a bad thing.
                      My concern is Jerry's " PERSONAL " plumbing. How's Your chlolesterol Jerry ? Doc Tool
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                      X