• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water comming back in the cold line

this is what some one asked on Face Book
    i think they are on a well

what do you think is the problem

Can an electric hot water heater build up enough pressure to push hot water back through the cold water intake to create warm water in the cold water line?
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Re: Hot water comming back in the cold line

A balancing spool/valve (shower-bath anti scald)going or gone bad letting hot water cross over to the cold water side/pipe.
    Just my pennys worth of thought.

Comment

I had something weird happen a few days ago. We have a toilet with tank fill valve that leaks so the toilet is always running a little. I know, I know, why haven't I fixed it?. Pure procrastination, although it is getting higher on my to-do list. Anyway, my son went in to the bathroom and had a seat to look after some business and we heard him holler down the hall, "Dad, the toilet's boiling!" The toilet was indeed full of hot water. The strange thing is that this has not happened again since this one occasion.

Any idea why this would have only happened once?
      "Good enough" isn't really "good"...

Comment

I would "guess". The hot water tank feed "cold feed" is tied in after the supply for the fixtures that are receiving warm water out of the cold taps. That along with no vacuam breaker so when a cold tap is opened on the supply before the hotwater tank is tied in your getting tempered water part backsiphonage from tank part cold feed. Not even pertending to know what im talking about pure speculation. As far as boiling water once in water closet no idea? Thanks seanny

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetarian View Post
          I had something weird happen a few days ago. We have a toilet with tank fill valve that leaks so the toilet is always running a little. I know, I know, why haven't I fixed it?. Pure procrastination, although it is getting higher on my to-do list. Anyway, my son went in to the bathroom and had a seat to look after some business and we heard him holler down the hall, "Dad, the toilet's boiling!" The toilet was indeed full of hot water. The strange thing is that this has not happened again since this one occasion.

Any idea why this would have only happened once?
          "Nice to have a cup of Tea on the pot"
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I think the most common cause is a bad fill valve on the washing machine.
            I did this to myself in the new house. I plumbed a hot water line to the outside tap so I could resurface my ice rink. If you leave both inside shut off taps open (warm water) then you get a convection flow that circulates water between the tank and the tee connection

Comment

Is it all thé time or only when thé pressure tank is low and thé pressure switch is getting close to being activated? Thanks seanny. Is their * thermal expansion tank? I Doubt it.

Comment

Working...
              X