Plumbing snake stuck in main line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumbing snake stuck in main line

Rick do we have to bring Adam out of the bull pen to bail you out? What's taking so long?

Comment

guys, i was there this morning at 930 and had it cleared 30 seconds after starting up the jetter.

but clearing the line was the easy thing. the line was holding water, yet drain at 18gpm. so with my camera i determined that the line has settled at the joint approx 8' deep right where the vertical meets the horizontal 4x6 abs to clay. sucked out the water with my ridgid bucket head and ran the camera to find the cutter head and connector in the pipe. appears that home depot repaired the original 5/8'' innercore cable with a screw on repair connector. basically a 5/8'' id screw on connector that screws onto the od of the cable. this unscrewed leaving his cutter and connector in the drain, allowing the cable to bore right through the rubber mission/ fernco band. the cable is not budging and not stretching as it's innercore. even tried my 1.25'' timberwolf and k-60 to try and spin the cable. all i did was wind it up and it wound back.

according to the owner who was using the rented machine, he feels that it might be as far as 6' into the joint.

my suggestion is to use a good magnet on a rope with a 10' section of 1/2'' pex to push the magnet into the riser and slightly into the horizontal to hook the cuter and repair connector. that should free up the line and allow for good drainage. the cable is not an issue at this time. plus an 8' deep ditch is not a fun proposal.

so although i got the line open in seconds, the cable is not budging. gave him 3 hours of time and effort, billed him 2.

owner is a real nice guy and i'm pretty confident he will get the cutter out with a magnet. lets wait and see if he post his find.

sorry guys, i wish i had a real happy ending. but he does have flushing toilets now

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

If He's 6' in dirt, how will a magnet extract that? think He ran in reverse?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

the cutter head and cutter are loose in the pipe. the pipe is abs and clay. with a magnet, rope and pex pipe. the rope will be strung through the pex. this will allow the magnet to be pushed down and through the 1/4 bend. hopefully grabbing the cutter head and connector. then the rope is used to pull it back.
          either way the cable is stuck and not moving. the bald end of the cable screwed its way through the offset connection and into the ground.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Did you try pulling it out with your truck?

Comment

considering that the snake end is approx. 90' from the street/ curb and works its way down at least 2 combies and a 1/4 bend all abs, i don't think pulling will do anything but rip apart the plastic fittings. 3 people tried pulling and the cable doesn't even stretch due to the innercore wire rope.

now if he digs up the last few feet of pipe and pulls the cable out of the last comby. this would allow a tow truck boom to reach over his 2' wall and 5' fence using the boom and winch to pull straight up. still the major offset would need to be repaired and fitting replaced.

right now the loose cutter head is the bigger issue. my camera couldn't even get past it in the line. even tried a rope to steer it around. the cable is not posing an issue.

told him to try the magnet and leave the cable alone, until at least the rainy season is over as it's an 8' deep ditch.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, You mentioned H.D. repaired this cable. Now I'm guessing this is their rental.
                Is the rental meter still running? Is He best returning the machine without the cable. Pay for new cable, and stop the meter ?
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I was told not to cumalong the snake. Now You,re talking a Mack tow truck?

Comment

actually they charged him $80.00 for the cable as it was used.

truthfully they did a poor job on the cable repair as the connector came unscrewed from the cable. it should have been welded or at least loctite to prevent the connector from unscrewing and getting him into the situation he's in now.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

the issue with pulling with a truck is the fact that you're ripping the cable across a few 90's in abs. it's not a straight pull and you will destroy the abs fittings.

the idea behind a tow truck was to use the boom and pull straight up from the fitting only after he's dug down 4' to remove the san tee and 80' of cable that's strung though the line.

an engine lift could be tried, but from experience, 2000# isn't enough to yank it loose. plus it will destroy the abs 1/4 bend 8' below.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Sometimes there is no alternative but to dig and this sounds like the time has come.

Tony

Comment

Backflow preventer? Use much liquid dish soap to be lubricant?

Pour lots of liquidish soap down the line to lubricate the snake.
                          Maybe it will also help clean the line a little.

Would love to knowhat the cause was.

Could there be a backflow preventer in the line?
                          If so, if you flush as much water down the line to open it and push the snake forward, could that allow the valve to open and then you can pull the line out?
                          I'd even ask to use a neighbor's garden hose to create more volume and head.

3:10 a.m. Just read the last several posts.
                          Why are there elbows in the line? Too steep a drop? So a 1/4 to 1/8 inch slope is done and then straight down and begin another 1/4 to 1/8 inch slope as many times as necessary until reaching the sewer?
                          Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-28-2012, 04:18 AM.
                          I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                          It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                          "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Hi Rick,

We dug down and cut the cable free this weekend- really buried in deep!. Rubber offset FERNCO Fitting with 2 holes in it! Computer won't let me upload the pics to the forum! If you want, go ahead and e-mail me your mailing address and I will develop them and snail-mail to you instead. Definitely want you to see what we found after digging!

Thanks again, AL.

Comment

just got off the phone with al

he's going to shrink the files or email them to me for posting. but according to his findings, the 4x6 fernco was so offset that the cable drilled through the rubber and was so buried that they still couldn't pull it out. the plumber/ friend of his just cut it off and left it there.

looks like the original replacement before his time/ 12years plus, they replaced the original line with 4'' abs. joining the existing 6'' clay at the sidewalk. the fernco band might have been cut to fit the pipe? but needless to say the pipe settled so much that the 4'' was now lower than the 6'' and was always retaining waste and water. so my jetting cleared the stoppage but couldn't do anything to free the cable that drilled it's way into the dirt. and yes the original general cutter did unscrew from the cable at the repair coupling that home depot installed on their rental machine.

once the pictures show up, we'll know the rest of the story

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

what we've been waiting for

this is what makes the forum work. a complete stranger 2 weeks ago come here looking for advise and eventually some help. the great thing is not only did i go there to attempt to help him, but he took my/ our advise and ended up digging the line and fixing it right. what's better is he came back on to follow up and share his experience with us all along with some photos that he just emailed to me for posting. original files were huge and i shrunk them to fit.

way to go al and from the look of it, if you ever decide to quit your day job, i'm sure all of us here would be thrilled to hire you

rick.

the cleanout approx 60' away from the actual stoppage. al covered the opening to prevent anything from falling in and disconnected the cable to bring the machine back to h.d.

8' deep digging later and this is what he found after disconnectiong the band and 90.

the cable exited from 1 of the 2 holes drilled into the fernco after the replacemnt cable end came off the cable. not knowing he was snaking with just a cable right through the offset band.

as you can see the original plumber mickey moused the coupling before al's time more than 12 years ago. the pipe was not properly supported and settled causing the major offset.

it doesn't get any better. great job al.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-05-2012, 04:05 PM.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X