Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumbing snake stuck in main line

Musta been a G C " A PLUMBER WOULD NEVER DO THAT SHODDY WORK !!! "
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks again Rick, and everybody on the forum who posted advice regarding the mess I got myself into. Family is thankful they can now "flush with confidence"

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      what we've been waiting for

this is what makes the forum work. a complete stranger 2 weeks ago come here looking for advise and eventually some help. the great thing is not only did i go there to attempt to help him, but he took my/ our advise and ended up digging the line and fixing it right. what's better is he came back on to follow up and share his experience with us all along with some photos that he just emailed to me for posting. original files were huge and i shrunk them to fit.

way to go al and from the look of it, if you ever decide to quit your day job, i'm sure all of us here would be thrilled to hire you

rick.

the cleanout approx 60' away from the actual stoppage. al covered the opening to prevent anything from falling in and disconnected the cable to bring the machine back to h.d.

8' deep digging later and this is what he found after disconnectiong the band and 90.

the cable exited from 1 of the 2 holes drilled into the fernco after the replacemnt cable end came off the cable. not knowing he was snaking with just a cable right through the offset band.

as you can see the original plumber mickey moused the coupling before al's time more than 12 years ago. the pipe was not properly supported and settled causing the major offset.

it doesn't get any better. great job al.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        guys, i was there this morning at 930 and had it cleared 30 seconds after starting up the jetter.

but clearing the line was the easy thing. the line was holding water, yet drain at 18gpm. so with my camera i determined that the line has settled at the joint approx 8' deep right where the vertical meets the horizontal 4x6 abs to clay. sucked out the water with my ridgid bucket head and ran the camera to find the cutter head and connector in the pipe. appears that home depot repaired the original 5/8'' innercore cable with a screw on repair connector. basically a 5/8'' id screw on connector that screws onto the od of the cable. this unscrewed leaving his cutter and connector in the drain, allowing the cable to bore right through the rubber mission/ fernco band. the cable is not budging and not stretching as it's innercore. even tried my 1.25'' timberwolf and k-60 to try and spin the cable. all i did was wind it up and it wound back.

according to the owner who was using the rented machine, he feels that it might be as far as 6' into the joint.

my suggestion is to use a good magnet on a rope with a 10' section of 1/2'' pex to push the magnet into the riser and slightly into the horizontal to hook the cuter and repair connector. that should free up the line and allow for good drainage. the cable is not an issue at this time. plus an 8' deep ditch is not a fun proposal.

so although i got the line open in seconds, the cable is not budging. gave him 3 hours of time and effort, billed him 2.

owner is a real nice guy and i'm pretty confident he will get the cutter out with a magnet. lets wait and see if he post his find.

sorry guys, i wish i had a real happy ending. but he does have flushing toilets now

rick.
        See if he can get a rare earth magnet as they can have a much stronger "pull". I had one that would pull over 75 pounds and it was only 1.5" in diameter.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Interesting thread. You just never know what's going to happen.
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Hello!

I am part of a team of DePaul University students conducting two survey's on power tools with specific regards to sub-contractors. We were hoping the sub-contractors at your company could take a moment of their time and assist us in this study. All participants that complete the survey's will be entered into a random drawing to win a $100 gift card to a hardware store! Each survey has a random drawing for a $100 gift card, so participation in both increases your chance of winning.

Here is the hyperlink to our two survey's, here issurvey 1, and here issurvey 2, we would greatly appreciate if you took part in this study (our grade depends on it!) Also, the information from this study will be used by actual power tool companies to help improve their tools and relationship with sub-contractors. It's a win-win for all of us!

Thank you,

Darren Smolen

Comment

Working...
            X