Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Caulking toilet base

Originally posted by mpm View Post
    Not code here. Don't like to do it on wood floors for the reasons already mentioned. I don't find it necessary imho, the wax seals it, the bolts hold it. My toilet in my house is not caulked. I replaced it the other day and guess what no footprint left over from the old one.
    I hardly ever do it these days unless I'm trying to hide a shim or hold a shim in place. My toilets in my house are not caulked. I have new tile in the mb, no way am I caulking on the tile.

Comment

Came across one where the customer used liquid nails for caulking, and he used A LOT! It was in the basement on an unfinished floor. Had to break the toilet to remove it and then chisel the remainder off.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
        Came across one where the customer used liquid nails for caulking, and he used A LOT! It was in the basement on an unfinished floor. Had to break the toilet to remove it and then chisel the remainder off.
        Your avatar is killing me!!! I want to eat the screen! Man it looks delicious.

Comment

"i've installed literally 10,000 plus toilets in new construction and several hundred in service."

In 30 years that would be over 30 toilets installed a month, every month, for 30 years!
          I imagine he was setting 20+ per day while doing new work.

I had a buddy who sold just the water closets to the Luxor Hotel in Vegas for new construction. It was just under 3,000 water closets. When they remodeled the place they added two towers and it now has just under 5,000 water closets. Now that is a lot of water closets.

Mark
          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 01-31-2012, 01:27 PM.
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

There is more sanitary issues with with a furnace in the home throwing all kinds of germs around the house, than a little dirt - dust, and the occasional pee stain under the toilet. A little 409 and some paper towels will take care of that problem when replacing a toilet or seal. Mold? Never seen it "under" a toilet in my career, and I've been doing it over 25 years now, when does the mold appear?

More problems are created when a toilet is caulked down and leaking for a long time before anyone notices. I'd rather have a water spot on my ceiling being un-caulked, then drywall about to crash down because my toilet was caulked. How many times have we all seen the caulk that's heavily stained with all types of crap embedded in it? How sanitary is that? How sanitary is it for a a toilet to leak on a modular home, and spilling all of that nastiness under your house? You will never ever know with it being caulked unless you go under the house.

How many of us have scratched a toilet or a floor because we are digging out the caulk? How many of us pulled up a vinyl floor around the flange because we didn't get all the caulk out, and now we have a place for water to sit under when it leaks again?

Sorry but..I disagree with the Plumbing code on this one. In certain scenarios..I believe in using caulk under toilets.

Comment

What did you all do before silicon came along.

Tony

Comment

"i've installed literally 10,000 plus toilets in new construction and several hundred in service."

In 30 years that would be over 30 toilets installed a month, every month, for 30 years!
                lets put it in perspective. the company i worked for for 15 years (13 years as finish foreman) was one of the largest union shops in los angeles. the last building i did the finish on was a 544 unit apartment with over 900 toilets alone. pretty simple to set a toilet in 5 minutes. especially when they are already spread and the closet bolts are already installed. never installed toilet seats until after the units were all cleaned and ready for sale or rent. same with shower heads and aerators. only takes a few minutes to tighten up 2 closet bolts and 2 to 3 tank bolts. couple of flushes while cutting off the excess brass bolts for the caps and caulking is done.

production work is production. it's not setting finish 1 unit at a time, but a building or an entire floor at a time.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                  What did you all do before silicon came along.

Tony
                  silicone is the last thing i would use to caulk with. too messy to tool and it peels too easily. caulking needs to be forced into the joints and then tooled clean. a simple bead might look nice, but it doesn't get deep into the joint.

all i use is acrylic based or acrylic with silicone still all water soluable.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I sure did not expect this much of a response to my question. I even did a couple of searches with no luck. In the past I have always caulked around the toilet but those were one story homes. My new home is two stories and with two baths right over our nice kitchen I did not caulk the toilet. It is just something that has been bugging me. I used two wax rings on the toilets to set them. (could not get one to work, uneven sub floor I could not correct at this time. Will do when I remodel the baths) I think I will leave them for now and see how it goes. I had never thought of using anything except 100% silcone but I like what Rick said. If I decide to caulk them I will use the acrylic caulk. Thanks everyone for your response.
                    Charles

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      "Typically speaking"...... Bees wax does not degrade or break down.

Mark
                      Say what?

This vinyl floor was caulked, the water got under the Vinyl and turned it black in a few areas. Not sure the history on how this commode was set, it did not rock prior to removal. I cannot complain about this leaking toilet, it landed me a bath remodel that kept food on the table for a bit. At my FIL's house, his toilet is caulked, is leaking, his particle board floor is ruined, I get to rip it out and re-do it next week. More milk for the babies to stay alive on...

I personally caulk all toilets I install (only have set them on Vinyl and Tile) but it does seem that caulk is a double edged sword. I have pulled un caulked toilets before, OMFG its nasty under one of those things...

I still want to see how you are going to caulk a toilet to carpet, that will make an interesting tailgate story....
                      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

be realistic. the toilet is not caulked to the carpet. it's cauked to the subflooring.

of course the carpet can always be removed to clean or replace. you don't install the toilet over the carpet, but you carpet around the toilet.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          silicone is the last thing i would use to caulk with. too messy to tool and it peels too easily. caulking needs to be forced into the joints and then tooled clean. a simple bead might look nice, but it doesn't get deep into the joint.

all i use is acrylic based or acrylic with silicone still all water soluable.

rick.
                          Been useing clear silicone for twenty years easy to aply around the base of the toilet pan and to the clean excess with toilet paper and silicone cleaner your bees wax seal seems quant in this day and age we use a pvc pan collar with a rubber seal which allows the toilet pan to be raised a little to insert the silicone with a silicone gun around the base of the pan before permanently screwing the toilet pan inplace.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            it makes no difference what the surface is. every plumbing fixture in contact with the floor or wall requires a caulked connection.

the purpose of the caulking is to make a sanitary seal and prevent any dirt, water or waste from getting into the that area that would make it impossible to clean and thus form mold or create an unsanitary condition. same reason why the tub is caulked at the floor and walls.

it's code and there is no interpretation between a wood floor, tile floor, vinyl, or carpeted floor.

this has been discussed dozens of times on the forum and i still can't understand why some people get it and some refuse to get it.

rick.
                            Because some customers do not like the way the caulk looks & think it looks like a hack installed their W/C. For those customers I simpley tell them it will not pass inspection with out it, but I can have my plumber install this type of caulk DAP Products - Caulks and Sealants - DAPĀ® SEAL 'N PEELĀ® Removable Weatherstrip Caulk & they can remove it after we are done & out of the home. No matter how good of a job you do setting the W/C you are still at the mercy of the framer. My plumber got me in a development of over 200 tract homes where all the W/C's are or going to leak ,because the way they were framed. The sub floor is 5/8 particle board nailed with common nails with no glue to joists 16" OC & no extra blocking at the W/C. This is causing the W/C's to to leak on whatever side the toilet paper holder is on. The best one I did in this development was for a customer that was buying one these homes. Existing homeowner was suppose to fix rocking W/C before settlement. After several attempts or supposive attempts to fix the problem by HO (existing HO kept saying the W/C bolts justed needed to be tighten). Real estate agent called us in to fix the problem. The W/C leaked so bad before the HO put the house up for sale that it took out the ceiling below. HO's quick fix was to patch ceiling , shim under the W/C flange with a file & hide everything with new flooring. The sub floor was totally gone around the W/C. Pay me now or pay me later I don't care.

Comment

Caulkgate is here !
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Pop just called me 2 minutes ago..to say I have a toilet to re-seal this morning for a state cop at 9:30.

Haven't re-sealed a toilet in months, but ironically I got one this morning...is this a sign?

Now where's did I leave my caulk gun at.....

Comment

Working...
                                X