Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Caulking toilet base

I caulk most toilets down in residential houses ,
    With the mix of flooring i run into some are not going to get it .
    Like carpet I'm not going to pull it up to caulk it down .
    carpet or wood floors have no place around a toilet

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
      I caulk most toilets down in residential houses ,
      With the mix of flooring i run into some are not going to get it .
      Like carpet I'm not going to pull it up to caulk it down .
      carpet or wood floors have no place around a toilet
      I normally do it on tile floors, because it's rare for me to find a level tile floor.

I agree with you that wood floors have no place in a bathroom, but we have a ton of that here.

Comment

wow, just stumbled on this site yesterday...ran a service truck in early 80's in FL ... hundreds of toilets and never saw the first wood floor (go figure) and have *never* caulked a toilet. I *GROUTED* every one of them though (trained by an old union plumber from NY). The reasoning was this, once you set it... flush for leaks (you know when it's sealed and when it's not) you grout and let set for 24 hrs... you never have to worry about it period. (Hell, at this point the bolts are even optional) and I sealed all-the-way-around to prevent moisture from growing bugs underneath (from overflows, mopping, etc), the bolts can only be so tight (without cracking the china right?) and caulk can move.

my 2 cents...

Dum

Comment

i always thought carpet in the bathroom was against code. yes?

Comment

I've changed my method quite a bit since the last time I commented on one of these threads. I've been taking a page out of Ron's book and puttying my toilets down, and nixing the wax. Turns out I like it better. I also haven't had a tube of acrylic caulk on my truck in about a year now. I silicone around the toilet, and leave the back third open. The silicone doesn't stain/pick up crap like the acrylic does, and remains easy to clean for years.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
              "i've installed literally 10,000 plus toilets in new construction and several hundred in service."

In 30 years that would be over 30 toilets installed a month, every month, for 30 years!
              I have not done it (set toilets) day in and out for 30 years but I worked plenty of projects where I
              set a dozen or more toilets a day for weeks on end in 2000+ room hotels.

That includes everything from hauling them into the building to trimming out and installing the seat.
              No caulk at this point until after the smoke test. Once the inspector passes the smoke test we could
              go back and caulk. And yes the inspector would ding us if we missed caulking a bowl.

I know I didn't approach 10K, but I am sure I have done over 2000 in new construction and probably
              a hundred in limited time I did service work.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
              X